For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Cooling Shiba with water mist?
  • BasBas
    With temperatures soaring over here right now to 27c (80f) walking in the direct sun makes my black and tan Shiba overheat pretty quickly.

One solution is to not walk or sit in the direct sun, offcourse, but sometimes it is unavoidable, or even very hot in the shadow. Offering enough water to drink and shadow where possible is one thing, but today I tried using a handheld liquid to air watermist dispenser, like image

First, I removed all traces of soap, then filled with some cool water. Now, when I feel his fur is getting extremely hot, I mist some water over his coat. As it evaporates, it cools his fur down pretty well. It makes his fur glistening with tiny water droplets. Works for about a minute or two.

Is this a good idea? His coat is cooled pretty well. He likes it. Anyone else doing this? Any negative sides to it?
    Post edited by Bas at 2016-06-06 06:42:10
  • You might want to take a look at this site for sport dog gear. They have several kinds of cooling jackets, some that use moisture evaporation like you're doing, but my favorite is the reflective one. Since your Shiba is black and getting hot from the sun, this would prevent that by bouncing the sun off his back. It would also be a little easier to walk with instead of misting all the time.

https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=256
  • yoshiburryoshiburr
    Bas, that is an awesome idea and sounds effective for cooling too. I haven't tried with a watermist dispenser as the one you're showing but I've sprayed my shiba with the mist setting on the hose nozzle and he loves it. He will chomp at it then get closer and stand on his back legs to get his face closer :)). I find nothing wrong with it and personally think it helps them stay cool! However, I try not to bring Yoshi out for too long when it's as hot (85 degree F+) to protect his sensitive paw pads from the heat. Asphalt gets very hot and can burn your pet's paws, so remember to walk your dog on the grass if possible ;)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I personally don't see a problem with this as long as he doesn't have a problem with it. I know some people use spray bottles as a dicipline technique, which is clearly an aversive which won't work. But used as you are doing, and he likes it, don't see an issue.

As stated before, it's obviously better to walk him when it's cooler, but we all don't have that luxury. I think you are doing a great job!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • Chicago resident here

We walk Thumper through the humid hot days in chicago. He usually tree hops from shade to shade. We will take a spray bottle with us and we will spray him every 1/4 or 1/2 mile with a water break. He loves it.

We tried the cooling gear but its so hot in Chicago that it's ineffective

We just use the spray bottle because we can refill it practically anywhere.

I'll throw some ice cubes in there or in his water bottle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)