For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Friendly and lovable 95%, biting and nasty 5%
  • Shiba4usShiba4us
    I've posted on an old post as well, but we really need help........

Our 2 yr old Shiba Kenji is completely crate trained and has been since he came home from the breeder to us. He's never been a problem with the crate, he actually lays in there a lot during the day while I'm working at home. Our issue is at night time......if I happen to go lay in bed before my husband, Kenji comes with me. He doesn't stay, as he is fully crate trained, only until my husband comes to make him go "night night". A few months ago, he started to growl really nastily and show teeth when my husband would try to have him get off the bed. Well, now it's not only growling and showing teeth, but he bit my husband hard last night. When this first started happening, we thought it was he way of complaining, but it's becoming more and more frequent, and now he's actually biting (not play biting, either. He's biting hard). He's bitten me before (outside he was into something and when I tried to approach him and steer him away, he tried to bit at me, he's nipped and growled when I try to move him from the bed during the day, when he is in his crate and I try to get a toy/bone out, etc). We are very worried that he's becoming aggressive and don't know what to do. I'm going to contact the breeder today for some advice, but am hoping that you all may be able to shed some light as well. First and foremost, he will not be allowed in the bedrooms any longer. We love our Kenji, but we cannot have an aggressive dog. There are too many children (including our own) in our home. Please help.

Honestly, he is the best dog we've ever had. So lovable most of the time, friendly towards everyone he meets, so incredibly intelligent.....I'm just so afraid of his aggression.
  • DoGoatDoGoat
    No more on the bed. If he's gotten growly and bitten because he's being taken off the bed, he no longer gets to go on the bed.

I strongly suggest going to a behavioralist and getting help from them. Your breeder may know some.
    Post edited by DoGoat at 2016-06-05 11:17:23
  • Shiba4usShiba4us
    Yes, we've already concluded no more bed. Even when he lays in the living room on the rug, if you try to pet his hind area, he gets nasty. I swear, it's like night and day. He's so lovable most of the time, we can't figure it out. Could it be something more than just aggression? Could it be medical? We are so confused.....and want to make sure we do the right thing, especially if it's a medical situation. He runs, does his Shiba 500, plays, etches, etc. it's only when he's laying down (for the most part).
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I agree that no more getting on the bed. I believe she is resource guarding the bed. There are some good threads pertaining to resource guarding here. The threads also contain information regarding good books to read that pertain to resource guarding. A behaviorist trainer (positive reinforcement only) would also help.
  • BootzBootz
    I think you should do a blood test to be safe before getting a behaviorist.

whens the last time you brought your Shiba in for a check up? Maybe there is something bothering him physically
    Post edited by Bootz at 2016-06-05 14:45:39
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I agree with @Bootz. It would be better to first rule out a physical cause for the change in behavior. A visit to the vet would be advisable.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Yeah, that sounds like resource guarding of the bed and maybe of you too. Our youngest started doing that when the cats would get onto the bed at night, so into the kennel he went for a couple of weeks. Then we started again with allowing him onto the bed every once in a while. Now he shares the bed just fine.

But I agree, if he hasn't been to the vet recently, maybe get a checkup done just to make sure he' ok.
  • Shiba4usShiba4us
    Thank you everyone. Kenji was at the vet not long ago, but I will be taking him to get a check up (just in case). We did a little test last night, and tried to pet him once he was in his crate. Sure enough, the growling/screaming and nipping started. We're pretty positive that it's a guarding situation. He's 100% a Mama's boy, and he even growled at me when we tested him last night. This forum is awesome, thanks for all of the replies. We appreciate it! Hoping all is ok at the vet. :)
  • doguedogue
    Hi!
    This is pretty old, but I am really interested if you found anything to help your dog's behaviour? I think my dog is exhibiting the same as well.
  • MooseMoose
    @Shiba4us This is a pretty late response, but have you gotten rid of the biting? Are you a proponent of the alpha dog training? If so, you could try giving a correction every time the biting or nipping starts. I'm concerned that Kenji has learned that he can get you guys to back off when he bites/nips, and may keep trying to push the boundaries. However, it's also important to isolate the reason behind his behaviour, to make sure it's not anxiety or fear-based (since corrections can make fear biting worse).

It *does* seem like resource guarding/pack role mentality from what you've stated, though. Thus, correction would be the way I would go.
  • JuniJuni
    @moose please read up on resource guarding before you give advice. Correction is not the way to go.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @moose correction isn't really effective with shibas and even if they do listen, it'll be out of fear not loyalty and trust. Best way to train a shiba is positive reinforcement. They learn the quickest and most effective way through positivity.
  • MooseMoose
    @Juni @Mochi920

To each their own. I know 99% of people don't agree with it, but it's better than an aggressive dog. I'm just trying to help the OP have all the options. :)

If you don't agree, that is great. Everyone has their own style, and I would never argue/impede on yours. I'm simply trying to give them other options.

As stated above, i *did* mention that if it was based on fear/anxiety, it would make the corrections worse. I have read up with many guides and trainers, and there are hundreds of different styles on training a dog/puppy.

Cheers.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Moose - The whole "alpha" thing has been debunked. Dominance training is ineffective at best and detrimental at worst. Since you have never owned a dog before (per your introduction), I would perhaps sit back and learn instead of attempting to give (bad) advice.

While there may be "hundreds of different styles" of training a puppy, the methods for which this forum advocates is positive reinforcement and negative punishment types of training. Using aversive methods is looked down upon, and for good reason.

I urge you to really spend some time reading through the "Behaviour/Training" categories. Hopefully you will learn something and re-think your position on aversive training methods.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)