For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Furminator size?
  • SteveDSteveD
    My shiba is 3 months old, and I want to start brushing him so he gets used to it from now.
    I was thinking of getting the medium size, short hair one but wanted to check if anyone can recommend the right size.

What size Furminator should I buy for him (which I plan to use when he is an adult). Are shiba's considered short haired or long?

I also tried brushing him with a slicker brush and he doesn't seem to like it. And is starting to get more aggressive towards it.. I need to work on getting him used to the brush and give him some treats as he gets to know it. Any recommendations here as well?

This is the one I was looking at getting: http://www.furminator.com/Products/Dogs/dog-grooming-deshedding-tools/how-to-stop-dog-from-shedding-grooming-a-medium-short-haired-dog.aspx
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I think most people get the medium short hair one for shibas, but I've also read some bad things about it on this forum. Overall it seems ok as long as you're careful with it, but it wouldn't hurt to search around the forums so you have a better idea about it. :) I've never used it myself.

Here are some threads about it:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/5910/furminator-best-product-ever/p1

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/7770/furminator-surprise/p1
  • sunyatasunyata
    Furminators damage the outer coat in addition to removing the under coat.

You are better off with a shedding blade, curry comb, and slicker brush.

And yes, always create positive associations with being groomed. Tire him out before you try and use the brush on him, use very gentle strokes, and give him loads of treats and praise.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • SteveDSteveD
    Ok thanks for the help. Im going to avoid furminator for now. Going to try the Kong Zoom Groom and maybe a shedding blade. I have the slicker brush and been trying it on him, but I feel like its not that great
  • SayaSaya
    Kong zoom groom works nice it's more gentle too so it might help him get used to grooming session.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    I like my zoom groom. I brush Ponyo daily and the rubber "attracts" the hairs so that the loose ones comes out.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I also use the zoom groom, a slicker brush, a line comb, and a boar bristle bamboo brush haha. Zoom groom is definitely a fav, since it seems to be so easy and quick to use. Sometimes it'll live little ridges in his fur, so i mostly use it when he's really shedding (which is now lol). I more often use the line comb or slicker brush for a quick clean up with a spray bottle of water or occasionally waterless shampoo. Ozzy loves being brushed, silly guy. But I did start with a lot of treats while brushing him.
  • enzo_inuenzo_inu
    Has anyone seen anything about the "Groom Ninja"? If you have, what are your thoughts?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)