For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ash got out of his harness
  • ClowClow
    I am reeling, I must be the worst person on this forum. Spending years pining for the breed, doing research, and then before you know it, I'm jumping into a bad situation. It was a mistake, but I still got something wonderful out of it, so I figured, why fret? I'll work with it.

I'm sure everyone thinks this, there was so much I should have done. He got a little wary on a night walk, do to another person and their dog getting into a car. We were by the pond, and then I saw it, I saw that his harness was loose. I was trying to calm him down, usually after a sniff and a pet he's fine. But he was right by the lake, he was about to fall in, I knew I needed to grab him, if I could just get him in my arms, get him home, everything would be okay. But he slipped out.

It's only been a few hours, he seemed so happy, and eager to explore the nice foresty area around our apartments. It's one reason I felt it was okay to get a Shiba, they do okay in apartments, but there's still such nice places for us to walk. He was doing so well on his walks too, we were having such a nice time.

I took this photo just four days ago

One of my "neighbors" (They are still neighbors in an apartment complex right?) Is looking out for him, even lent me a flashlight. Of course, I'll call shelters and the SPCA, and really, everyone tomorrow morning. I don't know if it'll do any good, but while he doesn't have a collar on, he has a little paper collar for Banfield Pet Hospital. Maybe if someone actually gets ahold of him, they'll call them or something. He just got his teeth cleaned. But I don't think he'll come back to us.....

He's become more settled, and comfy, my roommate said he whined to be on the bed with him today, it made my heart leap. But we've only had him for 2 weeks. It just... doesn't seem likely. I don't think he's going to just come to anyone. Maybe if I'm really lucky he'll end up at a shelter.

I'm pretty much sorry for anyone who has to read this, I can't help but want to talk, and perhaps look for advice, but I know I'm awful. I've failed, and I don't really deserve him back. I am fully ready to pay his vet bills as penance, as a reminder to do, and be better. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe he'll know where his food is, and come home sometime soon, and while I'm going to go out, again tonight and try to find him, I'm trying to stay realistic. I apologize for anyone angry at the screen, due to my dreadful ownership, but thank you for your time all the same.
  • JuniJuni
    I am so sorry for you!
    This could have happened to anyone, I'm sure most of us has had incidents with a leash or a collar that has slipped. But it is very unfortunate that you have only had him for two weeks (with no micro chip it seems?) as he may not feel so at home with the area or your smell. You didn't describe the area where he ran off in detail but if possible I would still attempt to put a blanket or some clothes with your smell on it there and some food.
    If he is older than a puppy and not panicking he may find his way back.
    I keep my fingers crossed.
  • niki82niki82
    Oh no poor Ash and poor you! You must be beside yourself with worry. :( But like @juni said it could've happened to anyone and it has so please don't blame yourself. I really hope you find him safe and well. Sending you and Ash positive thoughts. Good luck and keep us updated.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    So so sorry for your situation. These things can happen to anyone, they are accidents and I pray that Ash can be found safe.
  • ClowClow
    I just can't stop going over it in my head, being near that pond had me thinking so much less clearly. Almost wish he did fall in, he would have been wet, and scared, I may have ruined my phone diving after him, but at least he would be here right now. He looks like a puppy, an older puppy at least, but his teeth seem to speak otherwise.

My main worry, is though he has gotten comfy in our home, he doesn't seem like the type to just come over in the nice wide open space like that. He's got a nice forest, nature trail area that he's already marked on walks, but I don't know how satisfied he'll stay with that. And which is better really. I don't want him anywhere near the straight, but getting picked up by animal control, and being taken to the shelter may be the best bet for getting him back. I've already posted in my local shelters facebook and what have you (First time I've used the site in years) And I'll leave some food out, though there're other animals around, so I'm not sure how much that will help.

His info was on his harness. Though I swear, if I get him back, he's getting a new collar (The one I bought is a weird, padded loop collar that I couldn't figure how to place on him properly) Stick all his info on there, and find a method of linking his harness and said collar. So he can still have the comfort and stopping needs (Which it works amazingly well with when he doesn't manage out of it) while still having a backup if he slips out.

I guess I'm glad I hadn't taken his Banfield paper collar off, least if a strange finds him, they should know he's a pet, despite his wary nature. Thanks for your kind words, I'm normally the optimistic type, but the guilt is a hard thing to shake. I at least have a few things blowing the wind in my favor. My only plan is to if I see him again, sit down, face sideways, avoid eye contact, and hope he wanders over. I'll keep everyone posted if I spot him tonight after work and such.
  • ClowClow
    Didn't spot him today, but about half of the food I left him was gone. There's no guarantee he's the one who ate it, but I would think another random animal would have eaten the whole thing, Ash hasn't been gone long enough to get really hungry... I dunno, seems logical.

Doing my best to keep my hopes high.
  • EsperchanEsperchan
    I'm so sorry :( good luck I hope you the best
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Hopefully he comes back and you spot/catch him :(

One of the huge things our training taught us was the use of the emergency command "treat party" which is essentially dumping a ton of treats and then saying it really high pitched and excitedly to excite them and get them to come back. I've never had to use it in an emergency, thankfully.

Is he microchipped?

Could you sit outside in the area and cook something delicious like grill hotdogs over a fire and scrambled eggs? When we go camping and Ponyo's on a long lead, she still comes out and hangs by us when we are making food.
  • ClowClow
    Thanks for the advice, they've all been stuff I've looked up online, but any tip is helpful. He hasn't gotten chipped yet, though I'm going to bring that up at the vet, after he get's a check up. He also hasn't responded to treats other than chews.

All that aside, he was spotted today. thankfully these's a lots animal thing on facebook. We weren't able to get him, I didn't even see him (I'm pprreettyy sure I'm the only one with a tiny shiba missing in the area though) But at least he's still alive. I was in a pasture today, and he's at least not far from home. I'm sure a cat has been eating his food, but since he's so close, he may wander back.

I'm just so glad I have help. I'll keep everyone posted
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Thanks for the updates @Clow, I'm so happy to hear that he's been spotted! I pray that he returns to you safe and sound.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Clow-I am keeping my hopes up that you little fur baby will be found safe and be returned home.
  • niki82niki82
    @clow you and Ash have been in my thoughts. I really hope you have been able to find him. If not please don't give up hope. Last year one of my cats named Fluffles went missing and i was beside myself with worry especially as she has a health issue that crops up at times. Anyway 2 months later the vet rang saying they had scanned a cat and my number came up! Fluffles was alive! It took a few months to get her well again as she had suffered badly while missing but she is now back home where she is loved and where she belongs so don't give up anything is possible. :)
    Post edited by niki82 at 2016-05-12 20:51:18
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    hi @Clow - have there been any updates on Ash?
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Was Ash ever found? Please let us know.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)