For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Nala throwing up
  • Hey everyone, my shiba (Nala) has been throwing up about once or so everyday for the last month. I just assumed it was grass she was eating outside or something. Some days she doesn't throw up but more often then not she does. Typically it consists of her food and I've heard that I should maybe switch foods and try that out. She's been eating the same food since I got her at 8 weeks and she is over 2 years old now. The food is Biljac (adult formula) Any suggestions would be great, I don't want to neglect this any further, I thought it would pass but it hasn't. Thank you!

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2016-05-02 08:07:18
  • pyleapylea
    This is not normal at all. Even throwing up once a week is too much. You should take her to the vet ASAP, and in the mean time give her some rice and boiled (boneless) chicken instead of her kibble.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Just curious.. about how long after eating does she throw up? I'm wondering if she's gobbling her food and then throwing it up because it was too much at once. But I have to agree with Pylea, switch to bland boiled chicken and white rice and see if that help. If she is gobbling too fast, give her a few small meals throughout the day. I have to do that with one of our cats. He eats too fast and then throws up. So now he gets 4 smaller meals throughout the day. Same amount of food, just not all at once.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Does she drink a lot of water after eating? My lab will sometimes throw up her food if she drinks a lot of water right after or if she does any physical activity before she digests. I agree that a vet check is in order before anything else to rule out any concerns. Eating too fast can also contribute to vomiting, you can try a slow feeder or try as Moxy said to feed in smaller portions throughout the day. Some dogs will also throw up when their stomachs are empty for too long.
  • I feed her in the morning but usually it'll sit their all day until she decides she's hungry and then I put one more scoop in her bowl after she eats. So she gets two meals a day. But she does drink a lot of water after eating and its followed by a huge burp almost every time. She doesn't throw up directly after she eats it's usually before bed time or sometime a while after she eats. So that's why I don't understand.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    On the subject of her food sitting all day until she decides she's hungry. our youngest does this. Our trainer just told us last week to give him 30 minutes to eat and if he doesn't, the food gets put away until the next meal time. Basically trying to train him to eat when he has his food and not just let it sit there. I don't know if that would be helpful for you. It sounds like she gets two meals, but usually they're at the same time-ish? It might be too much food for her all at once.
  • dougfoodougfoo
    Throwing up for a whole month... that sounds really scary. After a week you prob should see a Vet ? Or change the diet around... or clean her cage/bed/etc?
  • sunyatasunyata
    TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET!

Throwing up several hours after eating is not normal. Instead of posting on an internet forum, you really should be seeking medical advice from a trained professional. Please take your dog in as soon as possible.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Moxy yes her food would sit for hours before and then when she decided to eat it I would refill her bowl a couple hours later. Not directly right after. I tried switching her food and she loves the new stuff it doesn't even hardly touch the bowl and she's eating. She hasn't thrown up for a few days but as sunyata said I'm going to take her to the vet. Thanks for all the advice everyone. It was very beneficial.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Please do take Nala to the vet right away even if she has not thrown up in a few days. Keep us posted. Good luck!
  • Nala ended up have worms sorry for not posting sooner. The vet prescribed some medication and the throwing up stopped pretty much instantly so that's wonderful! I appreciate everyone's input!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)