For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Submissive Shiba, blessing or curse?
  • ClowClow
    So, I'm a new owner, and I do worry too much, I'll state that now. He's just taking a good bit of time to get accustomed to his new home.

I've spotted him wandering and exploring every now and again, but most times he just plops, laying on the floor. Either in a spot he's chosen, or wherever you lay him. He eats, he potties outside, and he's getting better and better on walks. He won't follow my lead yet, but he's exploring and sniffing about. He seems to enjoy just forging around, and I'm just encouraging him, wanting him to feel safe.

His background did involve children, seems quite likely they may have been to rough with him. I know animals take time to get comfortable to their new homes, but I can't help but worry. But he is curious and kind to the cat. He hasn't taken treats yet, but I got him a little chew stick with a treat in the center, and there's bites out of it. Every day seems to be filled with little victories, while it's hard to put my fears aside, it brings me a lot of hope.

While I haven't seen another Shiba with that issue, just laying wherever you set him, and moving so little, I can tell it could be far worse, what with the behavioral problems I've seen around. Plenty of petting, meshed with independence time, and the walks are a must, lotsa walks, if only to get him moving. But in the end, I'm thankful, I'm seeing improvement day by day, and I'm sure you can't always ask for that.
  • sunyatasunyata
    If I understand from your introduction post, you bought an older puppy from a Craigslist posting, right?

Socialization is super important in Shibas and if his previous owner(s) did not provide him with appropriate socialization situations when he was in his most impressionable stage (8 weeks - 4 months), then you are going to have a long road ahead of you. In addition to his questionable past, he looks to be a puppy mill Shiba, which can involve some health or behaviour issues.

So first off, have you taken this pup to the vet? (Sorry to keep referring him as pup, but you have yet to provide this poor dog's name.) If not, I would start there. Shibas are by nature very curious. If he is just sitting where you place him and not moving around, something is not right.

If his vet check up (I would highly suggest running a full CBC in addition to thyroid testing) does not reveal anything of significance, then you need to engage him and show him that moving around, exploring, and interacting with you are exciting and good things. I would recommend taking him to a training class (positive reinforcement only!) and work with him at home to improve his confidence. Depending on how rural your area is, you may even find a confidence building class, which would be a great thing for this pup.

The last thing is to drop the "submissive" adjective. This pup is not really submissive, but it sounds like he is a bit fearful, anxious, and maybe even confused. It does take time for a dog to get used to new owners and new situations, but it sounds like you have had him for a few weeks and if the behaviour is not improving or getting worse, then you may need to bring in a professional (certified canine veterinary behaviourist) to help.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ClowClow
    Have I made it seem that way? I did say I worry too much. No, it's only been 4-5 days now, we got him on Monday. The behavior seems to worry me, but I wouldn't be shocked if it is just new home jitters. Heck, tonight, he went on a real walk. Before it was more, letting him wander, but tonight he was following me, only show resistant down hall/doorways. So I didn't even have to pick him up until we got home. I was so very proud, his tail was nice, curled, and perky throughout 90 percent of the walk. Perhaps I should change the title to "Diary of a new pup" xD

We're defaulting to Tenchi, and Ash is on the table (If you wondering, it's Fantastic Mister Fox inspired, rather than Pokemon or evil dead >w> ), but we're not really, committed yet. As for the vetting, we're still scheduling it, it's certainly an ASAP thing, as he HAD to have his Rabies and such. While I've been looking for a Shiba for a while (I was in talks with a Shelter in Georgia, a 6-hour drive there, and then back was a small price to pay in my eyes) This, of course, all happened quickly. We live in Apartments, but the type with the outdoors being right outside our front door. So walking him hasn't been an issue, and we really have a lovely place for him to have his walks, but he haven't brought him up with the landlords I feel guilty not bringing it up yet, but I know I need to have all his things in order, after that, everything should be good, I know he's allowed, paperwork just needs to be in order.

I was going to get his rabies and tags on Monday, though this coming morning, I'm going to be looking into a wellness plan/insurances, as like you mentioned, it should be the most careful and cost effective method. I know in some aspects, as it's only been a few days I might just be paranoid and worrying too much, but honestly, it's good to get a bit of advice and allow myself to vent a bit. Even if I'm a ball of nerves now, I can really see a bright future, and I adore him so very much already. I can't wait to see that personality come out more, and he's quite possibly the most beautiful​ dog I've ever seen.

Anyhow, thanks for everything thus far.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Okay. First thing... Talk to your landlord IMMEDIATELY! Not telling him about a puppy is grounds for eviction. You should have okayed it with the landlord BEFORE bringing a pet into your rental home.

Second, stop waiting to take the dog to the vet. He should have gone within the first 72 hours of him being in your possession, especially if he has not had his rabies vaccine. That is a major legal liability.

No offense, but this seems very much an impulse decision to bring this dog home with you. Either way, you have made a commitment to this pup and I hope you are able to follow through with it. Do the right things, in the right order. Landlord, vet, then everything else.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @sunyata has brought up very good points. Please take him to the vet, it's been 4-5 days of delaying a health check when you should have brought him the very next day. Also, it seems like he hasn't had his rabies shot yet either? You're really putting him at risk the more time you waste. I thought the previous owner gave you proof of vaccination.

Shibas are much more sensitive to any changes in their environment and takes them longer to adjust, especially if your pup has prior anxiety issues. If he's slowly improving, them that's what matters. Keep things extremely positive and don't over stimulate past his threshold of what he can handle.
  • ClowClow
    I'll go into detail, but it's already scheduled for Monday, they sadly couldn't see him any sooner. But yes, he will be getting his round of shots very soon. Apologies for worrying anyone
  • ClowClow

Sorry for the delay, been a busy few days. But everything's pretty well in hand. Ash has been fully vaccinated, and all set up with the apartment. He's getting perkier, and he goes rather well on walks.

The only real issue is it seems he's far older than he looks, being somewhere between 4-9 years. It's minor, in the grand scheme, I still love him all the same, and though I was looking forward to looking him grow, not really that bad to own a dog that looks pretty puppy like. I feel my rehoming fee was an overcharge for a falsely advertised dog. My roommate is way more annoyed over it than me, as I don't see much that could be done.

While getting a Shiba is something I've been preparing for months, getting this dog inparticulare WAS rushed. And I regret that, and will do my best not to let it happen again. I thought "There's no commitment, there's no harm in seeing him." But of course emotions take over. And I was admitably emotionally compromised, as a Shiba lasted less than 3 hours after being posted in a nearby shelter.

While it is annoying to be tricked, I'm just glad he's healthy and starting to respond well to his new home. I'll still be around, with pics to shared, and wisdom to absorb. Thanks everyone who's helped so far.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    You mean 4-9 months right? not years? Unless you're saying your shiba is pretty lazy, which is pretty shiba like lol.

Glad he has perked up though!
  • ClowClow
    I mean years. It was rather shocking, as he looks pretty puppy like by Shiba standards. I still love him plenty, but I do feel ripped off, as the rehoming fee seemed reasonable for a pup, but pretty over priced for a dog. Plus, ya know, false advertisement. He's still a healthy cutie, I just hope he's on the younger side so I get more time with him.

He does like laying around, for sure, but I can't complain, he's pretty fine with just being pet and pet. He may still be a bit nervous, but he's such a sweet heart
  • pyleapylea
    That is really unfortunate about the person selling him on craiglist lying to you. Have you confronted the seller about it?

I also hope he is on the younger side, but even if he is 9 years old, you may get up to 8 years with him still. :)
  • JuniJuni
    What makes you think he's that old? Can we see a picture of him?
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    @Juni - http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/14659/good-day-from-florida#Item_9

@Clow - Wow.... i can't believe they would completely lie and get money like that.... How did you pay? If it's through paypal, CC, etc. you probably have a means for recourse, otherwise its just small claims court :-/ poor dog. I wonder what the history really is.
  • EsperchanEsperchan
    I know if he's off standard it could be more common, but doesn't the black mask usually go away as the grow up? Which would mean he wouldn't be too old.
  • pyleapylea
    @Esperchan: sometimes the muzzle is black as a pup and lightens to be the correct urajiro by 2 years of age, but other times the muzzle stays black into adulthood and is considered a mismark.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)