For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
New Puppy - When to start a routine?
  • gnar1221gnar1221
    I will be getting my black and tan Shiba from on May 22nd and couldn't be more excited!

I have taken the entire first week off to get him comfortable and acclimated to his new home. With that said, I don't want him to get used to being uncrated but I feel as though a few days would be necessary to create a bond, allow him to explore his new surroundings, and...lets face it...to have fun with my newly adopted love!

I was thinking (keep in mind I have no prior experience with a puppy) that the initial first 2 or 3 days we will sort of have a loose schedule, get potty training down, feeding, playing, etc. After the initial familiarization period, I intend to start migrating him to his crate in a similar fashion to that of what will come the following work week. Starting slow, maybe crating him for 2 hours in the morning, take him out to play and what not, then return him to his crate. I will gradually increase the time spent in the crate until he is (hopefully) staying crated for 3-4 hours.

My work week schedule intends to be:
    6am (or whenever he wakes up) - Potty, short walk (20-30 minutes), food, play time in his pen, then back to the crate.
    12:00pm - Return for a potty break, short walk, and food. Then back in the crate again.
    5pm - Get home, lounge/play for 30 minutes or so, potty, etc. then go for a 30-60 minute walk followed by food and play/training..
    11pm - Bedtime

I think this schedule can work just fine but please let me know otherwise. His average alone time is 4ish hours. Any tips on slowly transitioning him to this routine within a weeks time? I think a dramatic shift in routine will end in the little guy being distressed.

First post btw...hope I did it okay, thanks!

[mod edit: changed category and closed thread due to duplicate topic - OP, please post an introduction in a new thread]

Post edited by sunyata at 2016-04-20 07:30:59
  • It's never too early to start crate training or any kind of training for that matter. The sooner he's adjusted the easier it will be as he gets older. You should leave his crate open at all times so he doesn't see the crate as an enemy or has any type of anxiety going in, but keep in mind that you want to adjust him in increments as well..nothing too fast. Ideally you want him to go into the crate at command. Just make sure you're praising him and giving him treats for going inside... because a lot of times you may find that your shiba won't want to do what you want him to do...that's the shiba intelligence lol, so best to try to understand your dog and the breed as best you can so training won't leave you frustrated. Call his name, he might ignore you. I think the easiest way is to set it up as his "resting place" since dogs don't normally soil where they sleep, make it a relaxing place for him to go into. You said his average time alone is 4 hours, that should be okay just make sure to tire him out before you're leaving him alone and make sure to leave him lots of chew toys or a frozen kong with peanut butter inside. Your pup will be teething for several months and if he's left in the crate for long periods of time he could cause destructive behavior or even hurt himself trying to chew the crate.
  • gnar1221gnar1221
    I was hoping to give him more space with ano ex pen attached once he is fully housebroken. I'll make sure to cover it to avoid escapes and provide him with plenty of fun stuff to keep him occupied.

So it sounds like you're saying that I should adjust him to the routine (even though I'll be there) almost immediately? As in, treat it as though I was at work? I feel like 2-3 days of anything goes would be helpful and then slowly easy into it. Am I wrong?
  • pyleapylea
    Hi! You should take a look at this thread to see how to make an introduction post and then get approved for membership. http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9612/new-to-the-forum-what-to-do-and-forum-guidelines-#Item_1

Crate training can start right away but it needs to be a very slow process. 2 hours is too long for a brand new baby puppy to be in the crate. For the first few days, throw plenty of treats in the crate to entice him in, but don't close the door. There are tons of resources you can find online about crate training, so I won't go into detail here. Check out Dr. Sophia Yin, for instance. :)

I think you have the right idea about a lot of free play during your pup's first week. I was "lucky" enough to be studying for the bar exam when I got my puppy, so I was home all the time with her. I spent the first whole week in a gated-off foyer with her (essentially an ex-pen) with my study materials, and took her outside every hour. The next week I introduced her to an actual ex-pen--which turned out not to be her thing, so I stopped using it. Instead, I eased her into going into her crate for designated nap time each day. The rest of the time she roamed the apartment while supervised.

Hopefully that's enough information for now... there are a LOT of threads on here about crate training that you'll be able to see when you're a full member.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @gnar1221 - We require that all new members introduce themselves to the community before being given full access to the forum and asking questions.

Since this is not an introduction and a commonly discussed topic, I am going to close this thread. Please start a new thread and tell us about yourself, what made you decide to add a Shiba puppy to your family, etc. Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)