For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Neck injury in puppy
  • Jadec123Jadec123
    Hello!
    I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced neck injury/pain with their shiba.
    My penny is about 17 weeks, but when she was about 15 weeks old I heard her yelping in the next room. I ran to see her and she was still in her crate (door open) where she had been napping. She was holding her (left front) leg up, and crying. I took her out and felt her leg. To which she had no reaction. I pet the back of her neck and she screamed out. When walking she kept her head low and straight.
    I took her immediately to the vet where they took X-rays. I could hear her crying out from the back room :( the X-rays revealed slightly compresses cervical vertibrae (1&2). To which the vet said, in his whole career of 47 years, has NEVER seen this in a puppy. Ever! He said no calcification and really doesn't think she was born that way. It also affected her reflexes in her hind legs.
    She is currently on prednisone to shrink the swelling, May be on it for months. No real prognosis since vet has never experienced this in puppy (and BTW isn't a good sign in older dogs)! But he's hopeful it was just a freak injury she will recover from. He says to keep her activity limited! That is almost impossible. And every once in a while she will still cry out. I'm really worried. I don't want this to bother her for her whole life.
    I'm thinking it was an initial injury from playing with my mom's dog. A large Boston Terrier about 5x her size. They play very rambunctiously together. But it seemed like normal play...I can't think of anything else! Has anyone ever experienced something like this and had a positive outcome? Or know of a timeframe?
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Poor pup! I've never heard of this but I hope she heals well!
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    So, spinal compression (intervertebral disc disease) can be caused by trauma. It is typically seen in older animals and in certain breeds, but it can theoretically happen to any dog. In traumatic injury, the squishy stuff inside the disc is extruded (bulging tends to be more chronic), but the good news is that prognosis with medical management alone is good (>85%) if the pup is ambulatory (able to walk). Even if non-ambulatory, prognosis is fair. W/ surgery (hopefully your puppy won't need), prognosis is excellent as long as the pup comes out of it able to demonstrate a pain response (responding to pain indicates normal nerve function). Of course, if there is no pain response, the prognosis is not as good.

It sounds like your pup's on the mend! Hope she feels better soon. Keep in touch with your vet.
  • Jadec123Jadec123
    @Lrose1990 thank you, >85% sound like a pretty good chance to me!
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    Forgot to mention the source for that number was my musculoskeletal notes :) We actually just discussed IVDD the other day!
  • Jadec123Jadec123
    @Lrose1990 wow- what a lucky day for me! Looked up your profile and saw you are a vet in the making! Can't wait till you get a shiba of your own.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)