For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Any concern having puppy w noisy pet bird?
  • dougfoodougfoo
    I have a lovebird and wow it's so noisy.. It can chirp non stop for 2hrs at a time. I wonder if this is going to drive my pup crazy... Any experience?

I'm thinking to give the bird away maybe ... If needed

[mod edit changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2016-04-01 11:18:43
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I do not have any experience with that scenario but Shibas hunt birds. My Shiba is always trying to catch birds when we go for walks. That lovebird might get on your Shiba's nerves enough for him/her to want to put an end to it!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Well... Shibas are known for their very high prey drive. And my dogs definitely instinctively knew what birds were. So...

Here are a couple of threads you might want to read:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/13171/small-pet-desensitization/p1
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/11487/irrational-fear-of-parrot-sometimes-/p1

If you are getting this dog as a puppy from a reputable and responsible breeder, I would talk with your breeder about socializing the puppy with birds BEFORE the dog comes to you at 8-10 weeks of age.

My particular opinion on the matter is that the dog should never even be allowed to see the bird. Otherwise instinct and temptation may just be too much.

ETA: I just noticed your last line... Why would you give the bird away? Are you unable to keep the bird and the dog separated? Are you worried that the dog might stress the bird? That worries me that you would so casually mention giving the bird away. Would you do that to your puppy if your puppy barks too much or creates extra work?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2016-04-01 11:20:10
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    IMO, dogs and birds can exist in the same house provided the bird is never allowed to interact with the dog outside of its cage. If the bird is out, it needs to be in a separate, safe room, or the dog needs to be in a different room/crated/etc. As someone who lives with both parrots and predators (dogs/cats alike), I can tell you parrots are fearless. They will confront dogs and lovebirds are especially feisty. My husky was not raised with birds, but she doesn't bother them when they're in their cages. If they were out, I'm sure she would try to kill them.

What kind of cage do you have the lovebird in? What materials is it made out of? If it's a wire cage, those can be easily destroyed by dogs/cats if the animals are determined enough (not to mention the risks of lead poisoning if the bird chews the bars too much). A bigger, more stable cage is a must if you're going to have birds and dogs. Make sure the cage is escape-proof, and if possible, keep the bird in a safe room while you're away. My parrots are in their cages in the living room when I'm home and in my bedroom (with the door shut) when I'm away.

In my experience it is less noise and more movement that dogs/cats respond to in birds. Most of our pets completely ignore the birds even when they're screaming, but if they flap around a lot or fly, the predators are interested. Which brings me to another point: if you're going to keep a bird in a house with predators, they MUST NOT have their wings clipped. Escape is not guaranteed (I've seen my husky snatch outside birds out of the air), but chances are better if the bird is flighted.

If you decide a parrot is not a good fit for your home (which sadly happens far too often... parrots are noisy, period, and any parrot owner would've told you the same), please don't "give the bird away." There are parrot rescues/sanctuaries that can help. Giving the bird away is not a good idea.
  • dougfoodougfoo
    I know its terrible.. to give the bird away, but I am mostly hearing that hunting dogs shouldn't be in the same room etc so i'm very concerned for 1) sanity of my shiba, 2) life of my bird... I have a friend eager to take the bird (having raised lovebirds before) so thats my best option as much as I feel bad about letting her go.

I feel we all have to decide to give up things when we adopt a puppy. its not easy.. i may try it first and see how it goes.

This is the most balanced article I could find: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww9e.htm
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    Keep in mind, though, you had the bird first. Do you have the puppy yet? If so, I apologize for misunderstanding. I am glad you have someone willing to adopt your bird.

Of course we all have to give things up, but animals are NOT things. Birds are highly intelligent and can become very attached to their people. I don't like the idea of trading one pet in for another (not saying this is what you are doing); if my living situation wouldn't allow me to have my birds and a dog safely, I wouldn't get a dog. Please don't feel I am attacking or criticizing you; I have worked in bird rescue and I see birds given up for a lot of reasons.

That said, it seems like you're not sure a bird would fit into your life? If that's the case, then your friend might be the best option.

• MishiMishi
    dougfoo said:

I have a lovebird and wow it's so noisy.. It can chirp non stop for 2hrs at a time. I wonder if this is going to drive my pup crazy... Any experience?

I'm thinking to give the bird away maybe ... If needed

[mod edit changed category]

@dougfoo I see this thread is 3 months old. So, have you gotten the puppy? What about your bird?

in case you are still looking for information:
    I have a cockatiel who is 4 years old. He is a bit noisy sometimes, but that absolutely doesn't bother my 10 week shiba. The cockatiel (Darwin) lives in his cage (actually, more like a bird house lol) and has been in the same spot since the first day Mishi got home. Mishi sometimes looks at him, and when I put the 2 close, she sniffed him, he looked at her and that was it. They ignore each other most of the time. Sometimes Darwin will whistle and Mishi will think it is someone calling her and will look as him puzzled, but then she just forgets about it and goes back to whatever she was doing.

I think it's a matter of getting them used to each other. Even better if they get to know when they are puppies. So, i don't think you need to give up your bird nor your puppy. But I'm no expert and this is just my personal experience. Hope you can get the 2 to get along like mine :)

• dougfoodougfoo
    @Mishi

Hey i forgot about this thread, thanks for reminding me. Yea I had a friend ready to take the lovebird, but I tried it out and it was ok afterall. They dont play together, but they dont both each other so it seems ok.

Though most people say dont ever leave them alone together.. so i'm still cautious. Please be careful too! As they get bigger they are pretty strong. Today I was shocked I can feel Roxy walking next to me now (floor creeking from the 7kg load).
  • @dougfoo : I have a lovebird too! Well, I have 2 lovebirds, and I've had my 10 week old female Shiba for 2 weeks now. I also have a 2.5 year old female pug.

Like what @Mishi said, from what's been going on these past 2 weeks, the birds chirping don't seem to distract my shiba at all. In fact, I don't think she knows they exist, although they chirp every morning and evening. My birds are in a large cage in the balcony (that is sheltered), and ever so often my lil shiba will attempt to wander out to the balcony. The few times she's wandered out to the balcony, she has noticed the birds and their cage, but she just sniffs at them and does her own thing after.

I think because puppies have such short attention spans, they don't really pay attention to the birds. My shiba will look up at my birds when they chirp, then go sniff the rabbits, then disappear back into the living room to play with whatever is left on the floor, or disturb my other dog.

But, I do work everyday towards integrating my shiba into my household. I take her to the balcony so she knows the birds are there and that they aren't her playthings (or food), I take her to the rabbits so she knows they aren't food, I let her have playtime with my older dog, all supervised, of course. With time I believe they will get along just fine :)

• Lrose1990Lrose1990
    I do want to reiterate that no dog, regardless of breed, should be allowed to directly interact with a pet bird (as in, the bird is out of its cage). It's just too risky. Even play could be fatal to the bird.

That said, teaching a pup from early on that they should ignore the bird/not bother it when it's in the cage is great! My husky largely ignores my birds unless they're flapping around a lot. If they were out? Different story. I've seen her grab birds out of the air before.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)