For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Training Cards
  • nds421nds421
    Hey guys!

I'm getting a shiba at the end of April. I've been doing a lot reading over the past few months in preparation of our first dog. I thought it would be useful for my partner to summarize it all in a easy-to-reference way. So, I made cards that I plan to print out and laminate in a few weeks.

I've made the cards public in hopes of getting some feedback from you guys! You can't edit them, but you can post your comments on here. I'd love to hear what you'd change, add, remove, etc... Please let me know what you guys think! Link below.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B713A863123EEB9!572611&authkey=!AP4lcFDYZz6yySY&ithint=file,docx
    Post edited by nds421 at 2016-03-30 21:16:08
  • BootzBootz
    Skimmed it... But looks cute.
    Definitely have to remove the raw eggs/meat from the "bad" list as there are people on this forum that feed a raw diet or include raw snacks into their Shibas meals.

I'll add more comments when I have time to thoroughly read it all! Keep up the good work
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Sriracha is an adorable name! I thought I had commented already but must've missed.
  • nds421nds421
    @bootz look forward to your additional feedback!

@lilikoi tehehehe thanks! I actually haven't made a post about him yet so you probably hadn't heard his name. I was going to do life story post after he came home!
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    "* Remove leash and collar when inside the crate to prevent chocking." - should be "choking"
    raw meaty bones are fine, but no cooked bones

pictures are very cute!
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I want to read over the cards more but I can't see them on my phone. I just glanced over them for a bit on computer and thought they'd be pretty handy for my bf. He's new to dog training and having a pet like a family member in the household. His previous childhood pets mostly lived in the garage and were pretty neglected. :( but now he's learned a lot about the integrity of being a pet owner and what the relationship can be. I still have to walk him through a lot of stuff, but he's learning.

I can't wait to follow your life story thread!!
  • nds421nds421
    @imBLASIAN Thanks for catching that! haha. Updated!
  • nds421nds421
    @lilikoi You're more than welcome to download and use them for bf! I've had pets before but they were pretty lazy/easy to handle dogs. Plus I always had my parents to help out. This will be my first time training and taking care of a dog as the main caretaker. I'm pretty excited (and scared out of my mind.) haha. I wish I had you here to walk me through everything too! haha
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Maybe there should also be a card on there for socialization - per Ian Dunbar, the lack of proper socialization of dogs is one of the top killers. "A puppy should meet 100 people, at least 20 of them children, before the pup is 12 weeks of age. She should meet both men and women, all races, ages, wearing hats, glasses, carrying bags, backpacks, walking with crutches etc." So maybe a card that gives examples on how to expose your new pup to sights, sounds, smells, etc such as going to festivals, dog friendly stores, puppy classes, etc.
  • nds421nds421
    @imBLASIAN great minds think alike! I was actually going to make a larger check list of all the different people, situations, etc... to get him exposed to. It just seemed like a lot to fit on an index card.

Maybe it would be a good idea to do a card on how to handle the different situations? For example, when meeting a new person, give the person a treat to give to him. Or, if he's showing signs of anxiety, do not force him and exit the environment. Etc... What do you think? Anything you'd add on how to handle different situations?
  • nds421nds421
    I'm going to be printing these in a few days. Any more feedback from anyone? I've got a few changes since posting them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)