For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Not drinking enough water
  • tbarskitbarski
    Has anyone had trouble with their Shiba not drinking enough water? She eats just fine and drinks a little after walks or play time but not a lot. Her urine has gotten a little on the darker side, hinting at dehydration -- which happens easily at high altitude. I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for getting her to drink more?
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @tbarski - Tali doesn't drink a lot of water either, she is pretty self regulating, but she's far from being dehydrated. Here's a good link to helping her drink more:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Dog-Drink-Water
  • tbarskitbarski
    Thanks for the link. She's definitely not acting dehydrated, but her dark urine color made me concerned, and I had already noted that she wasn't drinking much water. I will check into some of the other symptoms to see if it's actually a problem. Otherwise, I guess I'll let her be, and maybe try a couple of the tactics.
  • BootzBootz
    Kind of curious if there was a reason that lead you to observe the color of her urine?

Does she use pee pads?
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Haha I always kind of just notice the color of my pup's urine cus there's so much snow out. It's so deep, my boyfriend sometimes can't tell if he's squatting...his first experience potty training a puppy. So I advised him to look for a mark in the snow if he wasn't sure lol.

My pup doesn't drink often, mostly during hard play. He drinks a lot at once though, usually.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-01-21 20:33:23
  • BootzBootz
    Oh that makes sense lol
  • Ham doesn't like to drink tons of water in the afternoon/evenings but always whines to drink at bedtime. To remedy this, I let him play with an ice cube. He will play with ice cubes endlessly then lap up the water. That helped me a good bit.
  • I think the rule is an ounce for every pound? Kuma's about 7 pound. He drinks when he eats and after walk or play. I fill his water bowl in the morning for half a cup(4 ounces) with his morning meal. He typically drinks like 3/4 of it. He will drinks the rest throughout the day before come home. I will then fill another half cup with his dinner. He does pretty much the same.
    I found that when he drinks about cup and half (12 ounces), his pee become clear and he pees a lot. So I am sticking with the ounce for pound rule.
    Our water here in Seattle is pretty good(clean and fresh, no taste). And I boil and filter the water for myself and that's what I feed him. Depend on your water source, perhaps try boiling it (getting rid of the chemicals the municipalities add in the water) and add couple drop of juice? I did that before with my yorkie and that works well...
    Post edited by KumaInSeattle at 2016-01-22 20:08:23
  • MooseMoose
    Can you describe the color of the urine? It's ok if it is darker, so long as its not too dark. Generally, "hay" to "honey" is a good color range.
  • RyanRyan
    Have you discussed this with your vet?

One of mine drinks on command, but has always been an "easy drinker".
    Suki (adopted) has always been a challenge with water. Since I've installed a decent water filter at home I've noticed his water intake has increased. It's a counter-top reverse osmosis filter which has a couple of carbon filters too (<$AU250).<br />
    Good luck.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • ZenkiZenki
    Maybe add a couple of tablespoons of water with the kibble. My dogfood already prescribes to add 1 tablespoon of water per freeze dried nugget. so I'm somewhat assured he's getting moisture from his food.

but this thread was opened last year so most probably that shiba has resolved it's water drinking issues.

I will end with this old adage/proverb
    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
    for this case, a shiba inu.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)