For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Paw cleaning
  • I tried searching for an old thread but couldn't find anything maybe I was wording wrong? If it exist I apologize in advance. Echo is 4 months old and two weeks ago he was diagnosed with Giardia I blame the nasty gross people that live around me (I live in an apartment) and do not clean after their pets! Plus the rain lately seems never ending... Anyyyyway I always alwayyyyys wipe Echo's paws when we come in the house since I have carpet everywhere. He is soooo good about it and even knows to wait at the entrance until I get wipes. Since he was diagnosed with giardia I have been reading so much and read during rainy season it's worse since larva can live in water and stick in paws etc. lately he likes to go in the super leafy ares to poop and there is so much poop in those areas I hate it but he cries and won't poop else where... So when he does go in it I would wash his paws with soap and water in sink. I saw some neat video once that this lads made using kitchen wipes vinager and a few drops of soap to disinfect kitchen counters, and I read on here how u would wipe ur dog's paws with vinager when they eat raw... So my question is... Is it safe to wipe his paws daily with a damp paper towel that has vinager diluted with water and a bit of soap? I am attaching the link to the YouTube vid of this wipes so I can hear some inputs. I just hate how nasty people are. My complex is huge and i need to drive out to take him else where and can't do that all the time :/ i try but it's exhausting specially when he refuses to poop elsewhere :/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPc9R6kbhes
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    I think these are a good idea. Apple cider vinegar is safe for dogs and can even be used to treat allergies and rashes. Instead of soap, you can use a bit of dog shampoo. There are wipes specially formulated for pets that you can get online or your local pet store as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Earthbath-Natural-Hypo-Allergenic-Fragrance-Free-Grooming/dp/B000WFIVSQ/ref=zg_bs_2975372011_1
  • Yeah! @nikkitine actually I buy wipes but they aren't desinfectant and after seeing how much poop is out there I am traumatized. I was thinking about adding his shampoo instead of dish soap.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    It's rainy season here so Tali always comes back with muddy paws after our walk. I actually use a paw plunger with her and it works pretty well if you want to give that a shot too. I add bit of her shampoo to the water and her paws come out clean and smelling fresh =)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002E6MKB0/ref=twister_B00OPEIHB6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    Post edited by Nikkitine at 2016-01-08 21:24:17
  • Can you use something like Muttluks to protect his paws when he goes outside? I know that that may not be possible with a Shiba or his condition. Just wondering if it would help.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)