For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Accidents inside of the kennel
  • Hi all!

I tried to find a thread that had this issue on it but I couldn't find one so I figured I'd try and make one.
    We just got another Shiba probably a month ago. He is going on four months old. I am having trouble teaching him NOT to go to the bathroom in his kennel. He has had a bath almost every day since the day we got him because he goes in his kennel and then lays in it. I have read a few different things to do and tried them but so far nothing has worked. I try and play with him for fifteen-twenty minutes before bed to make sure he isn't restless, I take him out right before he goes to bed for the night and he doesn't eat or drink before he goes to bed. It's not only at night that he's having the accidents though. It's really anytime he is in kennel. Any tips or suggestions?
    Thanks in advance :)

[mod edit: changed category and closed thread due to duplicate topic]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-10-19 07:17:34
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Hello! There are tons of threads about potty training, which this essentially a question about, so they will probably close this thread.

Some tips before they do:
    1) Feed in kennel so he knows it is "home" and won't potty in there
    2) Take him out every 4 hours or less on a set schedule since he is only 4 months old
  • Thanks so much! I will do both!
  • I had this problem with Cody early on but was able to curb it quickly by getting help from a private trainer. The first thing she had me do was create a crate schedule. He would spend the majority of his time in the crate. I would take him out every two hours, play with him a little bit, then right back in his crate. This way he understood it as the place he would be spending his time. Also as the above mentioned I feed him in his kennel. He has 15 minutes to finish his food. Whatever he doesn't finish in that time gets taken away. It helps hi. Regulate his eating and makes pooping more of a regulated thing as well. I asked the vet for advice as to how much I should feed him per day and break that into three separate feelings.
    Getting a trainer if you can find a good one is worth the investment. As you all ready know Shiba's are super stubborn but if you can find someone with experience it makes a world of difference. I have been working with one with Cody every two weeks now since I got him and he is such a well behaved and enjoyable dog now which from what I hear and read is very a-typical for a Shiba his age. Hope that helps
  • JuniJuni
    So your puppy spend most of his life in a cage? That sounds awful.
  • Juni said:

So your puppy spend most of his life in a cage? That sounds awful.

He did for the first month that I had him. It actually helped to build his confidence and trust. He learned that the kennel is his safe place so he sleeps better at night and is more receptive to obedience training. He kennel was kept by me as I work from home so he understands that he is safe and owning his space. It sounds awful but it's a tried and true method for raising young dogs. Too much space causes them a lot of stress. As he matured I transitioned him to an exercise pen and he now is able to spend most of his time freely in my work space. Slowly increasing his area in the apartment as he shows that he is confident in having the space helps build a strong relationship. It curbs a lot of behavioral problems in dogs as they grow because it curbs their fear behavior.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)