For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Very Sudden Aggression but only in one room
  • Hi everyone, I apologise if I am doing this incorrectly, but I'm having trouble finding advice on room-specific aggression. I admit this is early days, but I want to nip this problem in the bud before it gets any worse.

In short, my sister and her yorkshire terrier (Lu) moved in a few days ago, and my shiba, Oscar, is being extremely aggressive towards my sisters dog whenever she enters the kitchen (or the back yard, attached). Oscar and Lu know each other and though they can play rough sometimes they generally get along. We actually lived with my sister and Lu before moving and they were generally fine together. In other parts of the house he seems quite happy to play with her, and there is no signs of aggression. It is only when she is in the kitchen/garden that he gets angry/guarded and lunges/barks/snarls/attacks, even if I remove his bed, toys and food. He just does not like her in the room at all.

I assume Oscar has established the entire room/yard as his since this is where he eats, sleeps and generally rests, and so he doesn't like other dogs in there, but as this is the main room in the house and Lu WILL need to go through the kitchen to go outside for potty breaks, I really don't want this trend to continue.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for desensitising Oscar to sharing/having Lu in the kitchen with him?

I will be upping my basic obedience training with him (as I've been slacking during our move) and hopefully I can book actual classes after payday, but I wanted to tackle this issue as soon as possible. Does anyone have any advice? (Or a link to a discussion I managed to miss on my search ^^;)

Thanks in advance!

[mod edit: closed thread due to duplicate topic]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-10-15 07:34:27
  • sunyatasunyata
    @MaireCal - This is resource guarding. Please read up on the threads in the "Resource Guarding" category. You may also want to read up on the threads about multi-dog households and how to introduce another dog into your current home (even if they already know each other, living together can be a totally different story).

Since this is a duplicate topic, I am going to go ahead and close this thread. After reading through the existing threads, you still have questions or want to continue the conversation, please feel free to post in the most appropriate existing thread. Thanks! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions