For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba has white hairs?
  • Hi all,
    I noticed my soon to be 3 year old Shiba has a few small patches/areas of white hair growing. He's in a major shedding period so hair is falling off regularly, so I have been brushing about every day for 5-10 mins to keep it manageable. I am noticing dandruff which I believe is partially due to the warm weather. The white hairs look as if they grow down all the way to the roots as I initially thought it was maybe some paint or something he rolled around in.

Some general background
    * I feed mostly 4-5 star foods according to dog food advisor (nutro, innova and wellness).
    * Attempt at keeping him well hydrated, water consistently available.
    * Recently I moved so I am transitioning him to my new home (it's been 7 days as of this post)
    * He mainly resides indoors. At my previous place, he had free roam of the house and a decent sized backyard throughout the day. Now he is in my room and I take him out in the mornings, around lunch and the most of the evenings but he is indoors more frequently before.
    * Temperature in the local area has been hot, averaging 90's but inside it's much cooler and I leave a fan or AC running to keep temps manageable.
    * I have recently been feeding fish oil more regularly
    * He hasn't been eating as much (I'm guessing partially because he's always been picky, but also because of the new environment)

I want to see if anyone has had this before or any other suggestions. I don't know if this is just a genetic thing or if it's something that requires veterinarian attention. He still is in good health, has lots of energy when we go out and doesn't show symptoms of anything other than some licking (which i think is attributed to the weather as well).

Pictures for reference
    http://i.imgur.com/KkE3KAW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/lkghPjy.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    Hmm. That IS odd. Generally as Shibas age (5+), they get a bit more white in areas (muzzle, top of head, etc.), but it is more of a peppered white and not a solid streak. Has he gotten injured in that area?

I doubt it is an emergency, but I would go ahead and take him to the vet fairly soon (maybe in the next couple of weeks or so) just to be on the safe side. It could be nothing, it could be due to scar tissue, or it could be due to some malignancy of sorts.

ETA: Do keep us updated and let us know what the vet thinks.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-10-12 07:46:57
  • sunyata said:

Hmm. That IS odd. Generally as Shibas age (5+), they get a bit more white in areas (muzzle, top of head, etc.), but it is more of a peppered white and not a solid streak. Has he gotten injured in that area?

I doubt it is an emergency, but I would go ahead and take him to the vet fairly soon (maybe in the next couple of weeks or so) just to be on the safe side. It could be nothing, it could be due to scar tissue, or it could be due to some malignancy of sorts.

ETA: Do keep us updated and let us know what the vet thinks.

thank you for the suggestions! i do not recall any incident of him getting injured there so very doubtful but i'll continue to keep an eye on it. i just hope its nothing or perhaps slight stress from the move?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)