For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Rolls to Change Direction
  • hmbackhmback
    I couldn't find a thread on this but if there is one, please steer me in the right direction.

When Clifford is running full speed he will often roll to change direction quickly instead of doing it on his feet. He only does it when running with other dogs like in a chase game but it's starting to worry us. We're not sure if it's because he is just too uncoordinated to figure out how to turn or if something is wrong with his legs/hips (he's a little over 5 months old). We have seen him change direction without rolling while running but it seems he prefers to roll. The other thing that bothers us is that sometimes when he rolls, the other dog will pounce on him and he ends up on his back. We're afraid he'll get hurt this way in a vulnerable position although he only plays with smaller dogs of his size. We've checked his hips, knees and paws and all seem to be normal without any pain. Is this behavior normal or something we should be worried about?

Thanks,
    Hanna
  • BragiBragi
    my 10 month old pup does the same thing, all his joints and bones are 100%, no problems whatsoever. he only does this sometimes too, he plays with the big boys because he tends to bully the little ones. I only let him play with dogs of owners I know and are well behaved, so none have any intention or have ever hurt him. most people tend to get a kick out of the way he plays, its funny. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just enjoy the goofyness :)
  • hmbackhmback
    @Bragi - whew it's good to know he's not the only one who does this. And yes, it's hilarious as he looks like a furry tumbling acrobat while playing. I wonder if he'll grow out of it or just keep rolling around but as long as it doesn't hurt him, we're fine with the bowling ball style.
  • BragiBragi
    I'm not sure either. maybe when he figures out how to wrestle? he's in the phase where all he does is chase or be chased
  • @bragi,

lots of training schools will offer open puppy play wherein for $x your dog only plays with puppies for like an hour (some places its free). I highly suggest you look into those because puppies play differently (and learn different things) playing with other puppies vs playing with adults. Wrestling may be on that list.

• Cody does this all the time when he is playing. All the other owners in the park know him for his "body rolls" it's probably just a play thing. In Cody's case it's his way of getting his playmate to tackle him
  • hmbackhmback
    @banjo we have done that too and he does the same behavior with puppies as with adults. We didn't notice the other puppies rolling to change direction when running so we thought maybe it was just him (although the other puppies rolled during wrestling and whatnot). Must be a Shiba thing :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)