For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Soloxine shortage 2015
  • zandramezandrame
    Back in June during an allergy checkup, our dermatologist mentioned there was a Soloxine recall. We didn't think much of it because we'd just refilled Kouda's prescription and figured it would be resolved soon. Two weeks ago we were in need of a refill again, and the pharmacy was out, as was the vet. Googling a bit, it's out everywhere. There's no solid estimated return date, but some time in 2016. The replacement we got is Thyro-Tabs. He seemed to handle the switch fine at first, but this week (third week on it), his erratic pre-Soloxine behavior is resurfacing. Called the vet and he said we are the third client in a week to report low efficacy after the switch.

Is anybody else affected by the Soloxine shortage? If you had to switch, what drug are you on now? Any noticeable changes?
  • sunyatasunyata
    I ran into this last month. I just went with the generic, Levothyroxine.

Nola is still on Soloxine, as I have not run out of her last refill yet. Bella seems par for the course on the generic, but she also has CCD, so it is often hard to tell with her. Nola will be switched over next month, so I will probably have a better idea of whether or not there actually is any difference.

Did the vet suggest having Kouda's levels rechecked? Or maybe swapping to one of the other brands or the generic? I am curious in case Nola does not tolerate the switch.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Oh yikes! I have enough for another month. I always worry about poor effects with generics or alternative drugs...I may consider Armour thyroid then if that's an option. Levo is a good standby.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks for posting this I'll have to ask my vet about this. Luckily still have the meds for Bella.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • zandramezandrame
    Update on the Soloxine shortage -

The number of medicines available to veterinarians for treating hypothyroidism in dogs is dropping from 10 to one, following a U.S. Food and Drug Administration warning to multiple manufacturers of levothyroxine sodium that they no longer may sell their unapproved products.

The warnings came shortly after Thyro-Tabs Canine made by Lloyd Inc. became the first — and so far only — brand of veterinary levothyroxine sodium to receive FDA approval.
    The FDA warnings aren’t based on findings that the prohibited levothyroxine products are dangerous or ineffective. Rather, they stem from the agency’s strategy to prod makers of established but unapproved drugs to achieve FDA approval
    FDA approval comes with five years of marketing exclusivity. That means generic competitors of Thyro-Tabs must wait five years to enter the market... (Makers of generic versions also would need FDA approval.) The marketing exclusivity doesn’t bar manufacturers of non-generic levothyroxine products from seeking FDA approval immediately.
    http://news.vin.com/vinnews.aspx?articleId=39721

FDA's announcement http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm482928.htm

So, currently Thyro-Tabs is the only product available. The VIN article does say Virbac is working to get Soloxine approved.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Ugh... This is so not what I needed to hear. :-/
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    Uh :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)