For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
4 year old girl. Acting really weird.
  • So my girl is 4 and a half, being very stubborn, and is just finishing her heat. Still humping. Not coming when called being lazy and somewhat more aggressive, than clingy than aggressive. We were leaving her intact because of her pedigree we wanted to work with a trainer and show her.

Now I am considering a spay since she is acting so weird. Will this make her behavior worse? I miss my energetic and mostly obedient girl.

We used to race, we would do 3 miles of walking every morning. When she got overheated I would carry her home. But that was usually at the end of our walks. Last time she sat 1 mile in and I had to carry her home in my arms for 2 miles. Now she won't even turn to go on our usual trail. She still chases things, and still runs. BUT when I try to run with her, she stops and sits. Won't even budge. Ignoring commands. She comes only if I squat and say come here girl in a sweet voice, only a few paces, like she's scared of me.

Now, I had tryed to work on her leash training 2 weeks ago, making a correction sound if she didn't stay beside or behind me. Maybe this was a mistake? I thought it was okay to try since she sticks to my husband's side like glue, and he walks her off leash to a nearby dog pen and back. With me she walks ahead and has 3 to 5 feet of leeway. But she always listened to my verbal commands. Him not so much. Now she's pulling. And sitting, and won't come left or right unless she wants to.

Did I break her trust in me? I'm so sad now. I don't want her to walk all over me either. I just wanna be friends again. :(
    Shiba Inu:
    doin' their own thing since 300 BC.

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
  • I saw your post in the NKF - You may want to look into a new vet since you dislike the one you have now. I'd be concerned about possible neurological issues at an older age if there haven't been any definite changes in her environment.

A good vet is really difficult to find and I would "shop" around if I were you in case it ends up being serious enough that you decide to take her in soon.

I'm sorry that you are going through this, I hope her behavior improves.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • JuniJuni
    How has she acted in previous heat cycles? Sounds like it could be a false pregnancy.
  • She's been clingy in her previous heat, never aggressive. And I will continue to visit new veterinarians until I find one I trust, it's really hard. I will look up false pregnancy. She has been eating more than usual.
    Shiba Inu:

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
  • JuniJuni
    More exercise and cutting down food is supposed to help during false pregnancies.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Jerricadotcom - If you have not started showing her this late in her life, I would go ahead and get her spayed. Every empty heat cycle she has increases her risk of multiple diseases, including the deadly pyometra. In addition, empty heat cycles are incredibly hard on her body and can absolutely cause personality changes.

I feel you on the vet situation. I have been looking for a good vet since I moved, and it is HARD. :(
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I have decided to spay her once I find a vet I trust, so I've been looking all week. Good news is, it was the heat (temperature) that was the issue. We've been in the mid 90 's plus humidity since the day she acted up. Now it dropped to 70, and she was happy, running, and obedient! I was going to take her for a short walk but she made a left to go on our 3 mile trail! I was stunned and stopped walking, so she looked up at me like 'come on mom why are you being so slow?'
    Shiba Inu:

• Update: I Took her to a new vet today because she's been starting up with the not wanting to move again. Good news is I found a veterinarian that I like that actually cares about animals! Only an hour away so yay!!! I set her up for the spay on October 12th So that she and I never have to go through this again. more good news is I got xrays and blood work today no heartworm, hips are great, And no pyometria not even a bladder infection.

Bad news is it's probably behavioral or a false pregnancy. The Doc says He says he sees them once every few weeks and it's more common with Shibas. Or it could be an Association issue, if Something happened to her outside. The only thing I can think is one of the last times when she was trying to poo and was constipated and it was a little bit painful. So maybe shes associating it with every time we go outside and doesn't want to walk?
    Shiba Inu:

• My girlfriend's Ahri just went through her first heat and it seems as though she has been in a terrible mood since she started the heat. She will randomly bark at my Kiba (he's neutered)...she also had a terrible early days in her old home so she might still associate and think that Kiba is going to hurt her or something...but we are going to spay her within the next week.

Does spaying a female help with temperament as it does with neutering males?

I did notice Kiba chilled out a bit after we got him neutered so i hope it does the same thing with Ahri.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)