For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Good name/bad name
  • CroakedjCroakedj
    Sorry if I missed this on another thread. I've heard of people giving their dog two names. Their general name (good name) and a name for when they are misbehaving (bad name). As I understand it, this is because of our tendency to not simply say "no" to our dog, but to use his/her name first and then say "no" if he/she is doing something undesirable and the behavior cannot be redirected first. The reasoning (that I've heard) is that if we use their general name then they will begin to associate it with negativity, especially during the puppy phase where lots of "no-s" typically occur. Seems fairly logical, but I also feel that my other dogs are smart enough to know their name and differentiate positive and negative, but I've never had a shiba! So, has anyone tried this? Did you find any merit to it? Does your dog have a dark side name?

Cheers!

-Dan
    (and Max...dark side name: Dioji)

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-08-13 07:56:10
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    seems easier to not use a name at all if you being negative- but mostly you just ignore bad behavior all together and/or redirect...

I honestly don't think I used the word "no" hardly ever with Koji...I do have a very mild ah ah sound I make when he doing something undesirable..but I tried to get out of mindset that dogs do anything "bad"..they just being dogs/puppies and we have to show them how to act in our world, not punish or be negative when they being a dog.
  • tysaaantysaaan
    That's weird, I've honestly never heard of that before. I've only heard of people saying different variations for the word no, since no is a commonly used throughout the day. Sounds interesting though.
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    I only say Denso's name and 'no' when he is around other dogs. I guess so he knows I'm talking to him? I don't really have a reason, it's just what I do lol. Otherwise I just 'ah ah' him
  • CroakedjCroakedj
    I rarely say "no" to Max because it doesn't really work anyhow. I just make weird noises until he looks at me like I'm crazy and it usually draws his attention away from whatever he's doing that I don't want. Typically chewing. He's actually been a pretty good pup so far. His only real problem behavior (so far) has been his fixation on chewing anything possible. If it's near his face, he chews it.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I've never heard of a second name beyond used before in this way either. When Kira does something wrong, which isn't that often then I would tell her bad dog in a disappointed and stern voice. Kira loves attention and since I talk to her quite often and she is used to being spoken to lovingly, it hurts her feelings if my voice is angry and stern.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I actually have heard about calling your dog by a second name when you have to correct him/her. I do not remember where I read this. Quake's name when he is engaging in behavior I do not like is "Bad Bowser" and I say it after "ACK, ACK" like "ACK, ACK Bad Bowser" and I say it in a stern voice and my hands on on my hips and I have a stern look on my face. I always say his name "Quake", "Quakey", My Angel" and other sweet names in a loving voice and his feelings get hurt when I use the "Bad Bowser" voice. He even let's out a little cry and has a sad face in order to try to dissuade me and I do not let that influence me. He gets the message very quickly. I also may say in a stern voice "Don't you Start" or "No Acting Up" and he knows Mum means business.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)