For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How do you hold your Shiba?
  • BragiBragi
    I'm sure we've all gotten into a situation where you had to pick and hold your shiba. So how do you hold up your Shiba and what situations would you pick him/her/them up.
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    I hold him on my hip, with my arm supporting his underside. If I need to hold him for a while, I'll hold him in my arms, supporting his butt and lower back lol. Kind of like how you would hold him upside down, but not fully upside down, if that makes sense.
    He doesn't mind being held at all, luckily! ;)
    Post edited by Frillface at 2015-08-01 20:47:07
  • zandramezandrame
    Picking Kouda up, hand goes under his chest and grabs his opposite front leg at the armpit, and lift. Opposite hand supports his rear. Mostly used for quick lifts, like helping into a car or over a barrier.

From the previous position for extended carry, he gets flipped over. This is also used every day when cleaning his feet.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    The handles on their harnesses makes for an easy pickup

photo skycap.jpg
    犬竜
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @INU RYUU-I am looking for a harness with a handle. What kind of harness do you use? Thanks.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Antoinette - Those are Ruffwear Webmaster harnesses and are a staple for many Shiba owners because they are virtually escape proof (unless you are Nola... she has been the only exception!).

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2?sc=2&category=1131
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Sunyata-Thanks so much for giving me the name of the harness and the link. I guess they need to start testing their harnesses on Nola!!!
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    I personally love the webmaster, but Tali hates it more than any of our other harnesses. I suppose because it's larger and weighs her down a little more so we only use it for hiking where we have to help her over things.
  • RooneyRooney
    If it's a really quick lift, like into the car or over something really quick, then I will pick Rooney up by putting him under my arm. My one arm goes over his back and around his side, then hand spread out on his chest. To in order to lift, I tuck him securely into my side.

If I'm going to be holding him for an extended period (aka he has become stubborn about something and needs to be lifted for more than 10 seconds), then I pick him up with one arm supporting his front paws and the second wrapped around his bum and supporting his back paws.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    Agree with Rooney - that's how we always lifted Fen.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    @Zandrame - your pictures make me giggle - looks just like Koji, resigned to his fate...but not really happy...
  • I hold banjo like a baby being cradled. He hates it. I laugh. He hates it more. He claws my face. I threaten to cook him for dinner. Repeat.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Like a prince lion cub held over a cliff to proclaim her the ruler of all!!!!!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)