For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Glaucoma - Onset, Diagnosis and Management
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Posts: 195
    We had a routine check up for Evie's glaucoma on March 17th and everything looked great. The vet even commented that she could tell we are very careful with administering Evie's eye drops because of how great her eye looked and how well it was doing.

    Sadly, Evie lost all eyesight on Saturday. We think that her pressure started to spike on Friday (unbeknownst to us...we didn't really see any symptoms of it) and by Saturday, her sight was gone. We took her in to the specialist on Saturday and the vet said she may gain some vision back but it's tough to say. As of today, she is still as blind as a bat and I don't believe her vision is going to return. While I know she will thrive eventually, it's been a really hard journey so far this week. We have blocked off the stairs and supervise/escort her everywhere. We're working on commands with her, which we started doing in the last two years, but it's apparent we didn't do enough. It's heartbreaking to see her when she gets confused, anxious, and scared. We've been using CBD oil to help with pain, keep pressure down and for anxiety.

    We will still have to get her other eye removed once the pressure (and pain) becomes uncontrollable through meds and that date may be moved up if she sustains any injuries to her eye. She's at great risk of eye injury now and we are working now to trim up all low hanging branches in our yard.

    We knew this day would come, but I was not prepared for this. It honestly took me by complete surprise at how quickly this happened. I'll report back as I know more and as we progress down this new path.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Posts: 361
    I'm so sorry for what you're going through with Evie. There's a user here who mantains a Facebook group for his Shibas, one of which has lost both eyes to Glaucoma as well. If you're not familiar with it, https://www.facebook.com/CasperandOrenTheShibas
  • sunyatasunyata
    Posts: 8583
    Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this. Luckily, Shibas are hearty dogs and, though drama queens, adjust quite well in time.

    My thoughts are with you guys as you adjust and continue to care for Evie. *hugs*
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Posts: 195
    @spacedogs I think that they are part of a Geriatric Shiba Inu forum I joined on Facebook! Thanks for the tip!

    @sunyata Thank you. It's been a rollercoaster so far. I know we will get there!

    Update: It's been 10 days since she lost her vision and I don't think it's coming back. Last night, we had a spike in pressure again and her eye was cloudy and red with an enlarged pupil. I have a call with the vet today to see if I should bring her in or if it's just time to schedule removal. She was in a lot of pain last night and we are maxed out on eye drops. Even if her pressure comes down and we can control it again...the question is... for how long? A few days? A week? Two weeks? I feel like with her first eye, when we hit this point, we ended up having 2-3 weeks before enucleation.

    My struggle is that I don't want to wait to take this eye out and have her be in immense pain like she was before we removed her first eye. I also don't want her to have to be on painkillers (Rimadyl) for a week + before removal because she's in a lot of pain because Rimadyl makes me very nervous. Also, I basically begged her eye vet to move her surgery up with eye 1 because she was in so much pain. Juxtaposed, I also don't want to schedule surgery too soon and be taking away.... well I don't know what I'm taking away since she doesn't have any vision. I guess I feel like I'm taking away 1) her ability to at least see a little bit of general light, which to me would be comforting and 2) the feeling of having an eye. It has to be weird to have no eyes, right? I think about it and wonder what it would feel like to me to literally have no eyeballs. I don't know how to make the right decision here, but I hope that the vet helps to provide a little clarity today.
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Posts: 195
    Before speaking with the vet yesterday, I made up my mind to have her eye removed. When I spoke with my vet, he agreed and we scheduled her eye removal for tomorrow. As it turns out, her eye pressure is not coming back down. I'm so grateful that I made this decision yesterday because it limits her time she has to be in pain. Bring on the healing!
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Posts: 1269
    <3 thanks for sharing your whole experience. So sorry about the whole deal. Wishing for the best, quickest healing process!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)