For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How often does shiba need bathing?
  • takumi2takumi2
    My 7 year old male shiba has not taken bath for about a year. First of all, he hates it, and second of all, I don't find him smelly either (well, I just don't notice it, but other people might do.....).
    I'm just wondering how often other shiba owners give them a bath....
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    I have never heard of Shiba that likes a bath (Nikkitine has a cartoon post on here somewhere about bathing a Shiba - it's HILARIOUS!!!), but yeah they need baths. And the more you do it the better they will get with it. Lots of treats and praise afterwards. (Fen got bacon or cheese after his baths). Fen was bathed about every other week; sometimes more, sometimes less, but that's what we did.
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    I've only bathed Denso once, and only because he decided to roll on dead coyote parts lol!

Edit: He's only 7 months old though
    Post edited by Frillface at 2015-07-24 21:45:41
  • koyukikoyuki
    They don't need to be bathed often, bathing them too much can strip their natural oils which help with the weather protecting qualities of their coat.. We only bathe ours when they actually need it- like If they have gotten themselves super filthy. They keep themselves clean. Three of ours probably have been a yr since a bath and they are fine. The other atleast 6 months. The Shiba puppy has had two - she rolled in her poo.
    The Akita gets bathed for Shows, but if we can get away with not washing her then we don't.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Shibas have self cleaning coats and groom themselves more than other dogs so they really don't need to be bathed too often. I've had Tali for about 7 months now and have only bathed her twice. She has a distinct Shiba smell, like baby powder to me. Her brother has the exact same scent as well. You don't want to bathe them too often if it's not necessary as it could dry out their skin or strip essential oils.

We went to the beach last week with all 3 of my dogs. Two of them needed baths immediately afterwards. Tali? Not a single grain of sand or dirt on her.
  • JuniJuni
    I have a friend who has a shiba the same age as mine, 5 years. She has never ever given him a bath and he has great fur quality.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Whoa, 5 years without a bath!? I don't know if I'd be able to hold out for that long, even if she didn't smell or looked dirty.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My Quake as not had a bath for eleven months and he does not smell and his coat is beautiful. He hates baths and gets anxious when he is bathed.
  • JuniJuni
    I remember a poodle owner who was shocked when I told her I had never bathed Juni when she was around 9 months...
    But yeah five years is quite a record. I don't think it's because he is difficult, he is very easygoing with everything else. I think she just like to keep him "natural".
    If Juni is muddy I sometimes put her in the shower but she usually gets just as clean if I wipe her off with a towel. Proper baths are more to help her when shedding. And she has become easier and easier over the years to bathe, she just stands in the shower putting up with it.
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    Evie gets a bath once, maybe twice a year, unless she rolls in something reallllly stinky or something like that. Her fur is shiny and beautiful and she always smells great!
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    I will honestly probably never bathe Denso either lol.
    Only in situations like I said previously: rolling all over a dead animal! ;)
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    Ok I guess Fen liked to roll in stinky stuff because if we waited a month everyone was complaining that he smelled LOL Of course, we do live right on the shore of a lake and he liked to go under the house
  • takumi2takumi2
    Thanks for all the comments.
    I guess it's almost time for my baby to bathe then.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Moxy gets a bath 2-3 times a year now that he is a stinky old man. When he was younger, it was maybe once a year or longer. But as he has gotten older, he needs them for his skin and to help with his shedding. I take him to the vet to be groomed.

Tang has had two baths in his year of life. Both while he was shedding.

• renitiadbrenitiadb
    OMG I can't believe how infrequently you all bathed your shibas! LOL I am jealous! Fen was STINKY! Of course, like I said, where we lived he was always rubbing all over everything in the back yard along the shore of the lake (and grandma's Pug stinks to HIGH HEAVEN so maybe he was rubbing off on Fen!!)
  • RikkaRikka
    I'm fortunate in that Sagan doesn't mind getting bathed (both by my own hands & a groomer), but I'd say maybe... 2x a year? If that?
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Atlus2015Atlus2015
    does this breed just dislike water as it's nature? I see a lot of opinions here to state that their dog just HATES water...
  • mine likes playing splash and tolerates bathtime
  • natashanatasha
    Yuki gets bathed 2-3 times a year at most.
  • Pebbles gets bathed a lot in the summers (she has a penchant for rolling in cat crap, bird crap, rabbit crap, whatever she can find that's the stinkier the better) and never in the winter. She loves baths though. And being blow-dried afterwards.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    I've had to rinse off Ponyo a couple of times, since it was easier than wet wipes, and she tolerates it, no whining or screaming. She just looks so sad (or maybe that's my impression of her expression). She smells awesome afterwards though, even though I don't use soap.
  • hanaluluhanalulu
    @Atlus2015 Evie hates water. She walks around puddles and highly dislikes walking on wet grass. She will usually avoid it, which can make potty time interesting. She is not a fan of baths, but accepts them now. When does she like water? When it is her choice. If it is raining and there are streams of water, she loves to paw at leaves and bubbles moving down the streams and drainage ditches. So essentially - she only likes it on her terms.
  • JuniJuni
    The best way to get Juni to wet her paws is to feed ducks. She gets so upset and jealous it's hilarious. I throw some pieces of bread close to her and she'll get in the water and use her paws to push and collect the bread so they can't get it.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @Juni - Off topic but try feeding oats and corn to the ducks instead since bread offers very low nutritional value and can actually kill them.
  • JuniJuni
    Yeah, I know, I shouldn't. It is very rare actually that we feed ducks at all.
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    Juni - I am sitting in the er waiting for them to deal with my busted thumb and just read that and seriously laughed out loud at the visual of Juni scrambling to get the bread before the ducks! I think they now wonder if I am a patient for the psych ward.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)