For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
ideal spitz/nordic breed to bring into a home with a shiba/cat
  • So we know about dogs. You don't just stop with one. Most people I know that can afford more than one dog own more than one dog. So I've been doing my research, finding breeders listed on breed clubs, watching videos, etc.

And I've narrowed it down to a few breeds.

Keeshond-The first choice. They're fluffy, roughly the size of my other animals(though that luscious coat may make it seem bigger) and most importantly have a friendly temperament. What's more, is that there's a breeder listed with the Keeshond Club of America who lives within an hour drive of us, and is only accessible through email and phone calls(which leads me to believe that she isn't a puppy mill). Have any of you ever owned Keeshonden, and what were your experiences with them?(The kennel's name is Wyndspell and the breeder's name is Marion Crain, if you're curious). Also read that they bark more than a shiba does.

Finnish Lapphund-WOULD be the first choice, if there were more than three breeders in the US. They aren't as fluffy, which means less time needed for grooming and not as restrictive on walking schedules(I'd imagine I'd have to walk a Keeshond at dawn/evening so it doesn't overheat) and have a similar friendly temperament. What are your experience with lappies, if you owned any? Also read that they have minor herding tendencies, and startle easily.

Alaskan Klee Kai-Second choice. They're a similar size to my shiba(and therefore my cat), look cute, but I read that their temperament isn't that different from a shiba. On the plus side, I'm accustomed to living with one, but on the bad side, a shiba temperament(as I'll refer to it) isn't exactly an ideal family temperament. Also I know there's some controversy around their existence. Your experience, if any?

Samoyed-Other second choice. Basically a larger Keeshond that's colored white and with fewer breeders, with a little herding tendencies on the side. Your experience?

Your thoughts? And I plan to let my shiba adjust more to my home(she's only been here for 2 months, I plan to give her a year to let her adjust and get used to a home) before asking my grandparents if they'll let us have another dog. So let's hope they approve, and that the breeds I singled out are ideal for my home!
    Post edited by theshibastruggle at 2015-07-18 00:53:34
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I'm confused. You live with your grandparents and are already thinking about another dog?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you are under the age of 18 and/or still live under the care of parents or grandparents, I don't think that planning to get another dog is responsible or fair to them.

My biggest concern is that you have already adopted a rescue Shiba that has behavioral issues, you may not even be able to introduce another dog in the household due to her sensitive temperament. Work with her first before even considering another dog. She needs a lot of dedication, socialization, and time right now.

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-07-18 07:28:55
  • Kira_Kira said:

I'm confused. You live with your grandparents and are already thinking about another dog?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you are under the age of 18 and/or still live under the care of parents or grandparents, I don't think that planning to get another dog is responsible or fair to them.

My biggest concern is that you have already adopted a rescue Shiba that has behavioral issues, you may not even be able to introduce another dog in the household due to her sensitive temperament. Work with her first before even considering another dog. She needs a lot of dedication, socialization, and time right now.

Well up to this point its just been quiet contemplation and research. I haven't spoken anything of it yet. If others think it's a bad idea I'll gladly stop. I've always doubted some of my ideas and that's why I ask people if they think it's a good idea.

Also I said that I'd let my shiba adjust to my home first before truly speaking about it; if I saw some sort of behavior with other dogs that I found undesirable she'd be an only dog. But the only behaviors I've seen so far were a complete lack of interest in other dogs(here's a little anecdote:in the training class, there's a hyperactive goldendoodle that jumps up on her, and any other dog would probably start growling and letting her know that it's a rude behavior, but Sushi doesn't pay any mind)
    Post edited by theshibastruggle at 2015-07-18 08:14:06
  • koyukikoyuki
    To be honest, I wouldn't even be considering another dog for a year or two... As in start thinking about breeds then. How she has acted in the past two months with you is probably not an accurate reflection of 'how she is' all the time. The adjustment period for rescues can be lengthy. And if she is 2 years old, this is the time that Shibas can become less tolerant.
    Also, would you be prepared if you were to get another dog and would your grandparents be prepared to separate the dogs?not all dogs get along, and sometimes they can never be integrated. We have 6 dogs, and our two older Shibas (regardless of the other dogs breed) will never tolerate them to the point that they would attack them. The male would kill them.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I agree with the others...focus on your Shiba!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • RikkaRikka
    Reading from your history and how long you've had your Shiba (only two months and you're already thinking of a new dog?!), I would invest in building a bond with Sushi before obtaining a new breed.

I don't particularly think it's a bad idea down the road, but for right now, I don't see it being a wise decision. You also never chimed in with how old you are and how long you plan on living with your grandparents—I agree with @Kira_Kira that it wouldn't be fair to them for another dog to join the household.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)