For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
suddenly hiro started to cry at night
  • minnlinminnlin
    hiro was raised inside the house
    at around age of one year old I lost my job so I moved into a smaller place, hiro could not be inside at night. this was after convincing the landlord to let me at least bring hiro in during the day. he got used to the small backyard with his kennel set up as a house, covered to keep it from the cold and in the mornings I opened the back door and he ran in and spend the rest of the day with me and went with me outside, no problems at all. but recently he started crying at night like wimpering. took him to the vent and there is nothing wrong with him, through out the day he acts fine but he has been crying at night which worries me. anyone knows what might be wrong? he eats when I eat, spends the day with me in the apartment and we both go out for a run, he sets the speed of the run because I will get lazy and just speed walk if I don't let him run.
  • JuniJuni
    I think you know the answer yourself, who wants to be left outside all alone at night???
    And what kind of a weird landlord require that? Why would that be better? If you can explain to him that he will be a lot quieter indoors perhaps you can persuade him.
  • koyukikoyuki
    If he's allowed inside during the day why is it any different to have him in at night?
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    OMG I can't imagine leaving a dog that has always been indoors outside at night all of a sudden.

I wouldn't have moved there, personally. No way. No offense, but why would you agree to those terms?

Talk to the landlord, letting the dog stay in only part of the day makes no difference at all if the dog is already trained and housebroken. I'm assuming he's concerned about the dog using the bathroom everywhere?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-07-12 09:36:37
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Bringing him in for the day, and then putting him back outside at night must really be stressful and confusing for the poor Hiro. They're pack animals and want to be near you so I don't find it wrong at all that he's crying. Think about all the fun things you're doing with him in the day, eating, playing, exercising, and then all of that stops and he goes back into his dog house outside at night. It's sad.

I'm with everyone else on speaking to your landlord or trying for another place. If he does well inside during the day, why wouldn't he just fine at night? If anything, night time would be the lesser of the concern since he'd just be sleeping...
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    This really defies logic. I don't see any rational reasoning for this arrangement.

If the 'landlord' is so unreasonable to suggest these ridiculous conditions in the first place, probably not worth trying to negotiate with...but can try.

Please find a new living arrangement. And if necessary, find a temporary home for your Shiba until you can get back on your feet.

Sorry to sound harsh, but Hiro deserves a home. And I can't even imagine the anxiety issues that he's suffering from.

EDIT: Feel like I was too harsh on the OP, questioning responsibility. But i do feel the OP needs to take responsibility and get Hiro into a healthy environment, ASAP.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2015-07-12 23:55:54
  • zandramezandrame
    What's the reasoning behind the night vs day allowed inside? Is it the fact that at night you are sleeping and can't watch him? (But what if you took a nap during the day?) Does the landlord live with you and doesn't want a dog about when they are home?

Get a crate or exercise pen to keep the dog safely indoors. And move as soon as you can.
  • I would agree that it is probably just because he would rather be inside. You seem to be in a rough spot, so I wouldn't try and push you to up and move or something else drastic (unless there is an option that works with your location/budget), but I would attempt to speak to the landlord, maybe using the reasoning that he is well beahved during the day, and would be much quieter if kept inside at night.

Here's hoping that this is a temporary arrangement, since the landlord seems like a pretty obnoxious person. Best of luck and hope you get back on your feet in no time!
  • minnlinminnlin
    aperantly the landlord had various people that stayed at the apartment and would let the dog just pee on the carpet, she saw that I took good care of hiro but she was still not sure I would take care of hiro at night. recently the issue stopped because actually she walked up to me and said "if you keep your dog in the crate at night you can keep him inside". so he has been inside the house and actually hiro has stopped making the noise so it does seem it was not being inside at night.
    Post edited by minnlin at 2015-07-24 02:08:12
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    That's great news, I felt so sad for him! Shibas may be independent, but they are still social creatures that enjoy the company of us even if it's as far away as possible.

I call Kira my Shadow Stalker... She follows me everywhere into different rooms but prefers to watch me from the furthest area possible without losing sight of me. Except at night... She gets under the blanket that I cover myself with when I sit on the couch.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)