For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Whistle training
  • knaokoknaoko
    I have puppy 3 months ago, he is now 5 month old. He went to the puppy class for 6 weeks and now he is attending the obedient class every week. I haven't introduced him to the off-leash dog park yet but I would like to try after training re-call and other skills. Has anyone tried whistle to shiba to recall ? There is a audible and silent whistle. Can anyone tell me your experience of it ?

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-07-13 07:54:48
  • I have successfully trained my pup using a dog whistle as my emergency recall. Thankfully I have never had to use it yet in an emergency situation but I reinforce it about once a week with lots of cheese when he comes, and that is the only time when he gets cheese (his fav). That being said, he is 18 months and has a pretty decent recall for a shiba. He is off leash every day with me and I reinforce him coming back to me every single time with a treat. I would be wary about using it in a dog park around other dogs though as you don't know how they will react/be trained to it. If you can train him using it in a more solitary setting it might be best.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)