For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Time It Takes For Coat To Grow Back
  • Hi. I used the search feature and scrolled through threads but couldn't really find an answer. I just got my girl 2 weeks ago and she had blown her coat a few weeks before I got her. I wanted to know how long it will take for her coat to grow back? Its just now getting hot here (high 70's-80's) and wasn't sure if she was or wasn't going to grow it back until after summer. I can't wait to see Roxy with a full coat of fur! lol.

Thanks all
    imageimageimageimage

Foxy Roxy- The Red Shiba Inu

Previous Forum Name: Michael_n_Simba
  • JuniJuni
    Hello Michael! Since there are threads about coat blowing you should put your question in one of those threads.
    I don't know the climate where you live, but don't expect the summer coat to be very thick and fluffy. You can help the growth a bit with supplements like fish oils. She will shed the summer coat later too and then in the winter, depending on the individual, climate, nutrition etc will set a thicker coat.
  • Juni said:

Hello Michael! Since there are threads about coat blowing you should put your question in one of those threads.
    I don't know the climate where you live, but don't expect the summer coat to be very thick and fluffy. You can help the growth a bit with supplements like fish oils. She will shed the summer coat later too and then in the winter, depending on the individual, climate, nutrition etc will set a thicker coat.

Hi, thank you for the information. I actually did a search and could not find anything. For some reason it doesn't appear that the search feature is working very efficient for me.

I will read once again on how to use the search feature properly.

Best regards
    imageimageimageimage

• go to google.com and type your inquiry, a space, and then "site:shibainuforum.org"
  • koyukikoyuki
    Genes can also play a role in Quality and density of coat. Did you see the breeders other dogs while you were there, what was their coat like?
    Out of our 4 Shibas, our cream has the thickest and plushest coat- but besides being the obvious fault of a cream, his coat is also too soft.
    Our red bitch is only in full coat ( and she looks STUNNING) for a few months each year.
    Our Black and Tan has a lovely coat, but again I believe it's too soft and not dense enough.
    Our Sesame seems to have a perfect coat- she is in full coat most of the year, and even when she blows her coat she maintains a full face.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • koyuki said:

Genes can also play a role in Quality and density of coat. Did you see the breeders other dogs while you were there, what was their coat like?
    Out of our 4 Shibas, our cream has the thickest and plushest coat- but besides being the obvious fault of a cream, his coat is also too soft.
    Our red bitch is only in full coat ( and she looks STUNNING) for a few months each year.
    Our Black and Tan has a lovely coat, but again I believe it's too soft and not dense enough.
    Our Sesame seems to have a perfect coat- she is in full coat most of the year, and even when she blows her coat she maintains a full face.

Hi. I agree for sure, genetics play a large roll. That being said, here are pics of her mother and father. They are both fluffer nutters lol. I just gave Roxy a bath and so much hair came off; She's already pretty bare. She blew her coat about a month ago I believe. But it also just began to get hot hot so that may play a role as well. I put omega 3 oil in her food to help with the coat and to give her more calories. She really needs a couple pounds but she isn't eating a lot despite being very active thus far with me. She's a nervous nelly but its also still only been 2 weeks since I got her.

image Daddy

image Grandma

image Daddy again

image Mommy without a full coat.

imageimageimageimage

• sunyatasunyata
    @Michael_n_Roxy - Since there are multiple threads on coat blowing, I am going to close this thread. There is a link at the top of every page that explains how to use Google to search the forum. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)