For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Has anyone adopted straight from Japan?
  • LuckyTaroLuckyTaro
    Kinda curious about this, has anyone adopted from a shelter/rescue in Japan?

A friend of mine adopted a dog from another country (Can't remember where) and he's been one of the coolest dogs ever, I totally love watching him when he needs to be watched :)

I'm somewhat considering looking to adopt a Shiba from Japan if they'll allow it of course. I do have a list of Shiba rescues in my area, so it's not like I'm completely tossing that idea out but it's still something I could think about.

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-05-19 08:01:45
  • BootzBootz
    Are you going to Japan to see the dogs? Or going to adopt based on what was described about the available dogs?
  • LuckyTaroLuckyTaro
    I have family staying out there, so I wouldn't even mind taking a visit to see them and possibly find myself a Shiba out there as well. But the chances me of actually adopting from Japan are pretty low if I don't go out there to visit, it was just something to have as an option.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @LuckyTaro - I think you need to think of the logistics of adopting or purchasing a dog from overseas.

Even if you are rescuing, you will still be importing a dog, which is expensive. Do you have the financial means to take on these additional expenses?

If rescuing an adult Shiba, the dog will not be able to fly in the cabin with you, but will be shipped as cargo. This is stressful for the dog, especially for rescues that often have not had the best socialization experiences.

If something happens with the dog and it is not compatible with your lifestyle or needs, you will have ZERO support here in the US. The rescue is not going to pay to fly the dog back to Japan.

My personal opinion is that there are so many Shibas in need in the US that it is a little silly to want to seek to rescue from another country.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LuckyTaroLuckyTaro
    Oh no I'm not 100% on adopting from Japan, I barely travel out there to see family and that would be the only way I adopt out there anyways.

I plan to adopt from one of three rescues in my area since it would easier to have a longer time of communication than if I did from Japan.

I just wanted to know if anyone had adopted from another country.
  • BootzBootz
    One of our forum members @curlytails is part of a group that imports rescues from Taiwan. Not specific to shibas or any breed
  • zandramezandrame
    There are plenty of dogs needing homes in local shelters that it is odd to import one. It is also highly cost prohibitive to ship a full grown dog (roughly the same as the cost to purchase a puppy from a reputable breeder here), unless it's part of a larger rescue effort.

But people frequently do import new breeding stock from overseas, for all of the Nihon Ken. It's always a bit of a gamble though, because Japanese breeders do not do health testing like is done here.

Another thing to note is heartworm is very prevalent in Japan. Many dogs are afflicted, even show dogs.

Check out this site for more info on exporting a dog from Japan
    http://japandogexport.com/export/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)