For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Indoor Dog Den inspiration
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    It's probably not a surprise to most of you that know me that I want to make Kira a custom dog den. I was surprised, however, that there wasn't already someone crazy enough to have a discussion about it yet!!!

So my fiancé and I are closing on our new house next Monday! There is a small area (I don't have exact dimensions at this time) that would make a perfect den/cave for Kira in the Den area (how ironic). Here is a pic of it, it has doors right now:

I'm hoping to get some input/ideas/recommendations from you guys as I begin this project. I won't be able to give details and measurements, including what the inside looks like until Tuesday of next week. Until then, I welcome any advice that you may have! Definitely removing the doors but haven't decided if I want to go gate doors or wood doors with wire yet.

I hope this thread will end up being inspiration & brainstorming as well as following the work in progress leading up to the finished product!

Here are some pics I found on Pinterest that are similar to what I'd like to accomplish:

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-Congratulations on your new home. I love your idea of having a little area for Kira.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kira_Kira - There is a discussion on the NKF somewhere where someone did this. It was pretty cool. (I, for the life of me, can not remember who it was or how long ago it has been.)

And someone on that side even went so far as to build an entire dog room, which was awesome! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • zandramezandrame
    It was Myabee09 :)
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/9298/doggie-bedroom/p1

We've also converted our den into a pet room, but it's mainly a bunny run. Kouda's crate is just in the corner.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I've been feverishly cleaning the new house and finally am addressing Kira's new Den! I removed the doors today and thoroughly cleaned and mopped the inside.

The opening is about 34" wide and the actual den area is 92.5" long and 25.5" wide. It's nuts, her den is going to be huge!

I bought a few things for the project at Home Depot:

Foam mats (water-resistant; 4pk of 2' x 2') $17.97
    Carpet purchased by the foot (26" x 8') $30.32
    Runner edge to prevent carpet fraying $6.97

I'm going to lay down the foam mats and cut to fit, then the same with the carpet. I want the den to be as comfy as possible. Contemplating on getting some small gate doors and hinges to also be able to utilize the area as her crate...

I don't like the stone wall background that is currently in her den so I am probably going to pick up a stucco/masonry paint to match the flooring in the room and paint that back wall. Pics to follow soon!
    imageimage

• NikkitineNikkitine
    This sounds like such a fun project! Can't wait to see the finished den!
  • RooneyRooney
    I think it's going to be awesome. Hopefully, Kira is less of a brat than Rooney and loves her new den. Every time I buy Rooney a dog bed or something nice, he just ignores it and lays on the hardwood floor. Dope.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I will be so excited to see the finished product. I think it will be an awesome space! @Rooney-I have say that Quake can be a bit picky too. I bought him a cooling mat last summer and he did not use it at all. He preferred to lay on the hardwood floor. I always leave the AC on for him so it was mainly to give him another option of where to lay. However, he does love his bed. It's called a bagel bed and he just loved it from the first day.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    It has been an insanely busy and stressful week - closing on Monday, packing throughout the week, the hot water heater in the new house started leaking... /:)

If that wasn't enough, then late Wednesday night one of the cats got out of the old house and was missing for 2 whole days... I put out flyers, visited the local shelters and vets, pretty much had a nervous breakdown until Friday night when a person called and said that he'd seen her. We found her 2 hours later, thank God.

Finally, I was able to address Kira's Den this weekend... here is the progress thus far:

Foam mats fitted for the den & carpet (8ft)
    WP_20150514_08_47_22_Pro

Foam mats in the den (to make the floor softer)
    WP_20150514_08_55_38_Pro

Kira inspecting the new carpet
    WP_20150514_08_57_04_Pro

She will go into it, it seems that she approves so far!
    WP_20150514_09_30_59_Pro

It's amazing!!! Kira is actually lying in her new den!
    WP_20150514_11_00_25_Pro

I really despise the stone wall background, though...
    WP_20150514_10_59_42_Pro

Now to pick a color...
    WP_20150514_09_33_43_Pro

2 Quarts of BEHR Desert Shade Semi-Gloss Indoor Primer/Paint Combo - $30.00
    Because of the stone wall, I did apply two thick coats to completely cover it.
    WP_20150517_18_37_05_Pro

WP_20150517_18_37_19_Pro

Moving Day is Tuesday! Hopefully I will have a finished product by Wednesday evening when our internet/cable gets turned on. Update to follow soon...
    imageimage

• NikkitineNikkitine
    Oh my goodness, that's insanely awesome! Super glad that Moose is back home safe and sound. The den is looking fantastic already, Kira looks so comfy and happy!
  • I hope she actually enjoys the finsihed product and you don't go through all this for some shiba attitude later.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I am still on the fence about whether or not I want to add a door/gate to the opening to make it an actual crate that she can be locked into. Until then, I'm hoping that I can actually fit her old crate inside of it for the time being and to sort of "force-accustom" her to the new spot.
    imageimage

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-The space is looking good and Kira seems to already be liking it.
  • Atlus2015Atlus2015
    that looks amazing, I'm sorta jealous that I don't have the ability to make something that cozy
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Here it is! The finished product!

WP_20150521_19_09_40_Pro

There's so much space in the den that I was able to put the toy bin to the far left of the area. I have started giving Kira her treats when she goes to her "spot" so that she gets used to knowing that the den = yummy goodness.

Kira is very pleased with the new house, including her live SquirrelVision:

WP_20150521_17_08_02_Pro

imageimage

• NikkitineNikkitine
    Aww that's fantastic!! Love it!!
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    It's a beautiful space and Kira looks so happy! Congratulations!
  • LiloLilo
    Super cool! :)
  • MiraFoxiMiraFoxi
    That turned out really awesome!! Glad to hear she is learning to love it! Great job!
    photo d48c316d-ce82-4a25-89fa-c1b57a673aa8_zpsqzf1t0cc.jpg
    Forever in our hearts.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Wow! That looks great! Congrats again on the new home. :-D
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Wow! I'm jealous haha :)
    That looks fantastic!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I want to do this!!! If we ever remodel the living room (or get a new house...we still haven't decided) I am going to kind of hint/push my hubby about it ^_^ I mean, it is a huuuuuugee space saver and that is important in Japan! ;)
  • ZenkiZenki
    That dog den is definitely big! What a lucky dog. I wonder what she eventually used to cover the den? I would do wood or bead string curtains, if kira wouldn't chew on them.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)