For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Marking People
  • Kota is a year and a half old and neutured. I thought his need for marking his territory would go away without all those hormones flowing through him, but it hasn't.
    When we stop and talk to other owners and dogs on a walk, he will try (sometimes succeed) to pee on the other dogs owner. I always pull him back and tell him no but it isn't sticking in his head that it is not okay.

Has anyone had this problem and been able to correct it?
  • Hahahahahaa

Sorry. I am no help but one day you'll laugh about this.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Wish I could be of assistance, but I don't have that problem simply because my fiancé required that our Shiba be a female to completely avoid marking behavior.

I'd say that it's time to invest in a belly band!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Never really heard of this. Wondering if it could be out of anxiety, or just excitement?
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    At least he doesn't mark YOU. I know a couple dogs that love marking their own owner's legs when another dog is around =P

Only advice I'd have is to just watch for his body language and when he looks like he's about to, distract him with a treat.

I'd only wish I could teach mine to mark on command when an annoying coworker comes by...
  • RikkaRikka
    o.O
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • sunyatasunyata
    While not about "people marking", this thread has some good advice:

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9179/indoor-marking/p1

The best thing to do to distract him from this behaviour is to make him sit when you stop. He can not mark if he is sitting politely. :)

You will also want to distract him as soon as he lifts his leg if he is not in an appropriate potty or marking area. Make him sit, shake, lay down, whatever... And then praise and treat when he complies.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    Kira_Kira said:

Wish I could be of assistance, but I don't have that problem simply because my fiancé required that our Shiba be a female to completely avoid marking behavior.

Same reason I have two females!

I agree with Sunyatas advice.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Moxy did that once, years ago. We were inside our landlords house, talking to him and Moxy walked up and peed right on our landlords son, who was sitting on the ground, petting him. I didn't even know what to do or say. Never happened again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)