For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Kishu Ken
  • crispcrisp
    So a while back, I introduced myself and Nami. I haven't posted since then since I don't have a Shiba and the issue I came here for information on turned out to be a non-issue for her (hypothyroid - she wasn't!)

A some time has passed since then and a lot has happened. Some know more than others, but Nami was pregnant and gave birth to 5 little Kishu-spuds. Her litter grew over last summer and was placed in August of last year with members on the NK side of the forum, but my Kishu-adventures haven't stopped.

If the Kishu Ken has ever been a breed you're interested in, you can feel free to ask me anything! I might not know all the answers - and I probably never will - but I'll do my best to answer questions about my experience with the breed and get in touch with people who may know more than me. I saw a lot of talk about Kishu in other threads through search, but didn't see a thread for them, so I figured I would start one!

You can also follow us online--
    http://www.kishu-ken.org/
    https://www.facebook.com/akiyamakishu

Here's Nami, my sesame female who started it all...

& Fionna, her daughter...

Kishu Ken owner | breeder | enthusiast | www.kishu-ken.org
  • sunyatasunyata
    Nammers and Fi! :)

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • koyukikoyuki
    I have loved following Nami on fb and the NHKF. Doesn't seem so long ago she had the pups!!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • crispcrisp
    I thought I'd come back and update this thread with some pictures of more of my Kishu, since they're all down now...

Here's one of the pups from Nami's litter, Kurogane, who now lives in a home in Washington and is named Kovu: He's a nice, white-coated Kishu. His ears are a bit big, but I like how he turned out.

Here's Fionna, Kurogane's brother who lives with me. I'm planning a litter out of her next year. She'll be 3, then! Crazy! Her head is rough and she's a little masculine for a girl, but her suitor is very "typy", so I'm hoping to "correct" some of her traits.

Here's Nami, my heartdog, who will be 5 years old this October. She is a sesame Kishu and very typey for the breed. She has a great expression. She's just a little small. Not quite undersize, though.

Here's Cúchulainn, my youngest Kishu. He's a big boy - he was as large as my girls at 5 months and now larger at 6 months. I'm hoping he matures right in the middle of the standard, but may be a little bit larger. He'd be a really weak red-coat for Shiba, but he's got pretty remarkable color for what I see in Kishu so far.

And my last Kishu, Toutarou, is co-owned with a woman here in Portland (who calls him Totoro! :3 ) He's a nice, typey Kishu boy who is a little on the small side, but not horribly so. He is Fionna's potential suitor and has a very different temperament than my experience with hunting-line puppies like Cúchulainn and Fionna. Toutarou seems much more laid back and into his people.

• niki82niki82
    I just love your kishu ken! :x those pics of gorgeous Cuchulainn and Toutaro.... Arrg! I think I'm going to die from their cuteness!!
    I'm nkostevc on the nihon ken forum and always enjoy your updates on your dogs. :) it's so funny, I've always leaned toward the Shikoku as another nihon ken I'd love to have as a companion one day, but after researching the kishu ken and seeing your dogs.....I feel conflicted...LOL!! :P please keep your pics and stories coming.
    Post edited by niki82 at 2016-08-18 16:10:36
  • crispcrisp
    @niki82 - Hey! :D I always loved (and still love) the Shikoku breed. My first NK was a Shikoku, after all, and he's been a great companion for my Kishu pups as they grow. I initially passed on the Kishu because they just looked like "another white dog" to me - they weren't really stunning like the Shikoku (which I feel bad for saying, now), but meeting one really sold me on them. I think their temperament really sets them apart. They're very self-assured as far as the Japanese dogs go and very bold. They don't really seem to do anything without purpose and intensity, which I like, but they don't seem as difficult to socialize and train (even if they make up for that with how much energy they have!)

I love the Shiba, Shikoku, and Hokkaido, and I think I'd like to keep one of either breed in my household with the Kishu for the foreseeable future, but the Kishu really stole my heart. :) I love sharing them with people. If you're ever in Oregon or catch me on my road trips, you're welcome to meet them!
  • niki82niki82
    Thanks so much @crisp! I live in Australia and we only have 2 of the 6 nihon ken here (Akita and shiba) I have mixed feelings about that and I'm sure you could guess what they are, LOL!
    I absolutely live all the nihon ken and many of the dogs that aren't a part of the 6 but have many similarities. I adore dingos and worked with them at a rescue along with other dogs and cats. We have 2 dingo rescues in Australia dedicated to preserving the dingo but none up where I live do the dingos often get put down, but luckily there are a couple if non kill rescues that will tale them in. My hope is, to have a talk with native species people and one day open up a dingo rescue on the far north coast of NSW...its still a dream right now though, LOL! Anyway, as you can see, I love all wild and primitive dogs...they're special. :)
    What I plan to do is to take a trip in a couple of years for the purpose of meeting other nihon ken, I've a lot of work ahead of me but I have a brother who lives in Japan with his wife and kids. His wife is japanese so they chose to live there instead of Australia. I'm hoping they will be able to help me plan my trip! :) Anyway, love your dogs, keep those beautiful pics coming!! :D
  • Beautiful doggies :) Are they extremely different from Shibas in terms of personality? I know someone who has shibas and a Hokkaido, and the Hokkaido is far less catlike.
  • crispcrisp
    @Lrose1990 - Lindsay (whose username I do not know over here) said the same thing when she had her Hokkaido litter. We were talking a little more regularly then. The Hokkaido seems pretty similar to the Kishu, to me, in some ways (especially as puppies.)

Comparing a Shiba to a Kishu is difficult. They are not catlike dogs. They may very well be the least catlike of the NK. They're still very much primitive in their attitude, but they do not have any issue with being wet or dirty and even seem to revel in it - especially if they can find a good mud puddle.

For example...

Some of the things I have heard from Shiba owners include mentions of how energetic the Kishu is, as a breed, or how intense they are as a breed. I think they have a lot more energy and enthusiasm to do/accomplish something than I have seen in Shiba. They are easier to motivate when it comes to training, but I think their attention may be quicker-lost in overstimulating situations.
  • MoshMosh
    I just followed you on instagram. Such beautiful dogs! <3

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)