For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Not Lifting Leg to Pee (Male)
  • enzo_inuenzo_inu
    Not sure how to really word it but Enzo is a year and four months now but he still doesn't lift his leg to go to the bathroom and just squats. Is this normal? It doesn't bother me but I was just curious. He also doesn't seem to "mark" at all not sure if this is normal as well?

[mod edit: changed category and title to match thread content]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-03-23 07:37:09
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    My maltese has never marked anything and he's 6 years old. He also barely lifts his leg, he just stands there and pees. Is Enzo neutered?
  • enzo_inuenzo_inu
    @nikkitine, yes he is neutered. I just didn't know if this is supposed to happen with time but i've always been curious.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Moxy is almost 10 years and rarely lifts his leg to pee. Tang is 9 months and will only sometimes lift his leg. I think its pretty normal, actually.
  • koyukikoyuki
    Kenji only started lifting his leg after a yr old. I would prefer he didn't, going walking and having both neutered males mark everything even when the tank is empty and they are peeing air, does my head in lol
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • KimbasKinKimbasKin
    Kimba is nearly 12 and I would say he lifts his leg about 1/2 the time- not sure if there is any reasoning behind when he does and doesn't- seems pretty random to me!

Hmmm, reading koyuki's post- I think that may be it- squats to empty his bladder and lifts his leg to mark other dogs' scent.
    Post edited by KimbasKin at 2015-03-20 18:42:17
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    It might just be a preference thing. Some dogs just don't. Unless he used to lift before then suddenly started to squat, then I wouldn't worry about it. Consider yourself lucky ;)
  • larryelizlarryeliz
    Similar to koyuki, Zuki will squat when his tank is full and he really has to go. This happens when he is let out into his run or usually in the first few minutes of being at the dog park. On his walks, it's usually a 50/50 chance he will squat.
  • EJHEJH
    Tanuki is 50/50 squatting or lifting a leg.

He squats more in our backyard and lifts more in public. He was neutered at 7 months and is a year old now.
  • vmleopardvmleopard
    Always squat never lift. Neutered, yet still marking like a boss. He seem/looks very proud when squatting. Not sure if anybody else notice this proud look on their face and the protruding chest area... just a very proud marking stance if such a thing exist.
  • Klaus really only lifts his leg in public and that's to mark things. He didn't start doing that until probably around 6 months.
  • Rina_LinRina_Lin
    Bumping because I have a question. It's hit and miss for Kitsu to lift his leg when he pees, but lately he'll end up peeing on his front leg a bit. It's normally on walks that I notice this, so is it that he's anxious/rushing? He hasn't been neutered yet if that's relevant.. There are zero signs of anything being wrong, so I'm hoping it's just that he's nervous or something. :/
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Rhyz misses and pees on his own front feet sometimes, especially if he's trying to lift his leg (not something he's particularly good at lol). The only thing that's wrong is they haven't quite got the aiming part down yet, but they'll get better with time. Rhyzik definitely pees on his toes a lot less than he used to.
  • Rina_LinRina_Lin
    @spacedogs That's reassuring, haha, I'll just hope he gets better with practice :)
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ozzy often pees and then steps his back foot right into it as he's walking away lol. He's only occasionally peed on his front feet when he's lining up at a particularly odd angle but won't readjust lol. But he only lifts his leg somethings. He does mark, but not too often, and only outside of course. I sort of discouraged too much marking cus I don't like to stop every 5 feet, I don't want him to pee on things that people could touch / pick up like toys, trash, bridge railing, etc. He does like to mark shrubs and some trees hah, but he often just squats to totally empty his bladder. I also take him running fairly often, so of course we're not stopping every few steps to mark things. We'll stop when he needs to potty, and resume. Sometimes he'll left a leg, other times it's not as noticeable, but he might just barely take it off the ground or leave all paws on the ground.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-10 18:22:38
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    My pup only peed on his own feet due to downward slopes. He very much abhors touching his own pee and poop in any way and will do a kind of hop/jump away as soon as he is finished. Sometimes he jumps away a bit too soon, though lol. He squats 90 percent of the time and really didn't start lifting his leg at all until he saw another male adult that he admires do it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)