For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How to help a negleted dog?
  • meixdidimeixdidi
    My friend's friend purchased a large breed puppy last year and being the typical puppy, he gets into everything and destroys it. I had met the dog once and at that time he seems well cared for and was brought out to socialized at the dog park a few times. What I do know is that they do not take him on daily walks. The husky also lives outside in their garden which is enough for his size.

Now I think he is about 1 years old. I just heard from my friend that the dog hasn't been outside of their yard for at least 3 month. The owner is overseas and the roommates does not interact with the dog. No one cleans up his feces so he is living in his own poos and no one used flea, tick, and worm prevention on him. Also no one interact with him because he is so dirty and most defiantly covered with fleas. The owner still is not back from overseas but even before he went overseas, he didn't have the money to purchase his food and the flee, worm preventions. ( I hope someone is feeding him and changing his water)

I really want to help out this poor puppy and was going to suggest my friend to bring him over to my house but that was before I knew he had fleas. I don't know his address or anything about the owners. I just know what was described to me by my friend.

I don't know what I can do to help :(

PS. I don't think the RSPCA would be any help since he isn't really skinny, just that he's living condition is really bad and he is full of fleas and maybe even worms

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by meixdidi at 2015-03-19 09:06:42
  • koyukikoyuki
    The RSPCA can intervene if the living conditions are not satisfactory. The dog does not need to be emaciated to be seized, but this dog needs help and they CAN seize it.Letting a dog live with fleas and parasites is considered an act of cruelty. Inadequate shelter and filthy living conditions are also considered to be acts of cruelty. Where in AUS are you located?
    This is a link with cruelty line numbers for AUS.
    http://www.rspca.org.au/report-cruelty
    You can also make online complaints. If you can get photos that may help.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
    Post edited by koyuki at 2015-03-19 07:15:47
  • koyukikoyuki
    I worked for the RSPCA in SA. I have seen dogs and cats that have been very very sick from living in the same conditions.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • meixdidimeixdidi
    @koyuki

I'm in SA but I can't get pictures or address or even the owner's name. I only know that the dog is neglected through my friend who doesn't want to report the problem.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @meixdidi - If you do not know the whereabouts of the dog, there is really nothing you can do to help. In order to report it (and be taken seriously), you will need to have a firsthand visual of the dog and its conditions.

I would talk to your friend some more and advise that you would like to report it as a problem (or at least shoot an email to the dog's owner that is overseas). Hopefully you can convince them to give you the address so that you can take a look for yourself and see how bad it is.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • SayaSaya
    Sad that this has happened. :(

Yeah if dog is full of fleas or ticks living in filth and to me that is plenty grounds for being taken to get proper help.

I hope friend is willing to give you address so you can report it.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)