For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Getting too excited with other dogs
  • jarvizjarviz
    My shiba does this and I think it gets herself into trouble. When playing with other dogs, especially bigger dogs, things are normal at first, just the usual smelling and jumping around, head down & butts up with plenty of tail wagging, but then sometimes she gets playfully aggressive, where she jumps/tackles/then runs away so they begin their chase.

The other dog begins the chase and if the bigger dog catches up, it does the jump and tackle game, but my Shiba doesn't like being submissive and doesn't handle the tackling and rough housing of bigger dogs. She She'll then snarl/growl/snap at the other dog. Nothing too aggressive though, more like a warning.

At this point, I like to break things up because I don't know how the other dog is going to react, especially because they are usually much bigger. Even if she is playing I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's like she enjoys play-fighting, but doesn't know how to pick her fights lol.

• How old? Remember, dogs are a lot like people in that they can identify a baby. If your dog is still young no other well balanced dog will attack her. It would be like me punching a trick or treated in the face for objecting to my candy selection.
  • jarvizjarviz
    About a year and a couple of months. She's wonderful around calm dogs, if they don't engage, she won't engage even when they are right next to each other. If they are playful she'll play and usually there's no issues when they are the same size, but it's the bigger dogs. She'll just keep playing and get them excited and forget they are 3 times her weight.

Is it normal for most shibas to not be submissive in a group setting? Or is just mine?
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Shibas aren't known to be submissive at all. I've seen a couple Shibas play with Great Danes and Bernies, and they are tough little nuts for being way smaller. They've been trampled, knocked over, and squished but I always see them bounce back up. My girl Tali plays really rough with my lab and she's only 13lbs vs 65lbs. She's been stepped on a few times and since has learned her lesson so plays a little less aggressively. But things can still escalate pretty quickly with my two so if I feel things get too rough, I do a recall with some treats for both of them and it calms them down.
  • When I took Hamilton to puppy playtime at our puppy school, play time was always heavily supervised. All the other dogs in that class were large breed dogs and it didn't matter one bit to Hammi. But if another dog does something that Hamilton wouldn't like, or might not like (like sitting on him). The supervisor would pick up the dog, walk away and wait to see if Hammi walks away or returns to the dog for more play. If you separate the two and both dogs walk back to each other to resume play, then they are just playing, but if you separate the two and one doesn't want to play anymore then play time stops.

We separated them before either of the dogs would have the chance to get agitated enough to give a warning growl or snap at each other. Even when the other dogs sat on him, Hamilton would pop right up and run back to continue playing, so in the future, if one of his friends briefly sat on him, we didn't rush to go in and do anything.

I would say separate your dog before it gets to their breaking point. Since this is a regular thing, it shouldn't be too hard to predict when it's the proper time. Let your dog decide whether they want to continue playing or not. If your dog doesn't want to, or if the other dog doesn't want to, then play is over.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I have seen that Quake is not submissive even around bigger dogs and he is ready to play rough so long as the other dog engages in fair play and not bullying behavior. I explained in another thread how one owner was encouraging her dog to bully Quake and I believe it's because although her dog is scared of another dog (a Husky mix); Quake is not afraid or submissive around the Husky mix and she was jealous of that. I am very careful to watch Quake's body language and that of the other dog because I want him to continue being fair in his play, but if the other dog is not engaging in fair play; I will stop the play immediately. I am happy that Quake is not at all a bully. In fact, he plays differently and is very gentle with his furry friends who are either his size or smaller and with his furry friends that are older. He seems to understand to not be rough with dogs that are smaller or too old to play rough.
  • larryelizlarryeliz
    Zuki is not submissive either. It's not uncommon for him to decide to play with a Great Dane at the park. This is after he has greeted everyone there of course. One of the funniest sites is to see a lumbering Great Dane chasing a nimble Shiba.

I do watch him closely so he doesn't get in over his head by trying to play with an overly agressive dog, but he seems to be able to sense that and will stay on the othe side of the park away from them.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @jarviz - Please remember to search the forum for common topics (such as this one) and read through the existing threads instead of posting a new thread. This has been discussed multiple times with you. I will follow up with another PM.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)