For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
coming home to an excited shiba
  • jarvizjarviz
    When I come home after a few plus hours, my shiba is extremely excited to see me, or anybody else for that matter. She jumps at me incessantly looking for my attention until I pet her and the fastest way to get her to calm down is when i make her lay down and rub her all over.

I've tried ignoring her until she calms down but now she's taken to nipping at my hand to get my attention. Anybody have any good suggestions for an overly excited dog? She goes back to her normal state after about a minute or so, but I'd still like to come home to a calm dog rather than a super jumpy one.

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2015-03-09 19:25:25
  • My puppy can get over excited when I come home too. The thing is, he stays in his playpen in my room and I always keep the door to my room closed. So when I come home, he can hear me, but I will not enter the room or let him out of his playpen to greet me until he is calm. So I will wait outside the door until he is calm.

Perhaps setting up some situation where she is separate from you until she calms down will help.
  • BootzBootz
    Your shiba is excited to see you....seriously? Most people get butt hurt when their shiba walks up to them calmly, then turn away to resume to what they were doing.

If the excitement only lasts a minute, why bother? You might end up training your shiba not to care about you lol.
  • That's my favorite part of coming home everyday... Nym with her cute airplane ears and her excited licks....

Though I will say we have been working with her regarding jumping when I get home.... She doesn't get pets until she sits down, but I will say 7 months in.... She still jumps with excitement. We're working on it! Ha!

• JuniJuni
    That is the best part of any day, coming home and getting the Juni-love!
    I don't see anything wrong with that at all. But if you don't like it ignoring the dog will do the trick I'm sure. Or leaving the room-going back in again back and forth until he/she is calm.
    But again, I can think of lots of other situations when I want my dog to be calm and not get over excited and when I train her to do so. However when it comes to showing happiness to see me or someone else she loves (which is not that many) I don't see the need to take it away from her.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    I absolute LOVE that my Shiba pup is excited to see me when I'm home because she's probably going to grow out of it as she matures and go from "HEY I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE HOME! I GIVE YOU KISSES NOW!" to "Hey, you just got home? Didn't notice. Feed me, thanks."

All my dogs are super excited when I step in the door, Bulldozer Nala and Nutcase Tali especially with barking and howling. I find that acting calm/unexcited, combined with working on obedience commands right from the get go is what works the best for this household. I have a big jar of treats right when I enter the door so I grab a small handful when I step in.

Nala and Tali are crated, while Pacman is free roaming. He calms down pretty fast after a few kisses, so he gets some love and treats first. Nala gets let out and I ignore her or give her the 'Settle' command until she's done her "I'm calming down" shake off. I put her in a sit/stay for few seconds, then treat. She's totally calm after a minute or so. She then gets put in a separate room because an overly excited Tali would amp her up too if she's in the same room.

Shiba Tali then gets let out and she goes NUTS with jumping, nipping, and her ever so adorable airplane ears and smile. As cute as she is, if she jumps on my leg, I give her an 'Ack Ack! Off!' command and then a 'Sit', which she does almost immediately, then treat her. Same goes for any nipping if I bend down to pet her. She's currently still learning 'Settle' to basically stop jumping or running around. She calms down after a minute or so, then she just gets all my super hugs and kisses. She immediately then regrets ever becoming excited to see me because I'm pretty much "Elmyra-ing" her.

After all that, all 3 dogs gets some group obedience training and play time!

Ahh, the absolute highlight of my day to come home to my furdorks. I guess there's the boyfriend too. Meh.

Post edited by Nikkitine at 2015-03-07 11:02:03
  • Being greeted by my super excited Shiba, Lab and cat (yes the cat gets excited too lol) is the best part of coming home for me! The love and happiness they show with their "happy dance" at my return makes me grin no matter how the rest of my day was :) If you really don't like it, I agree with the others that ignoring your Shiba until they calm down is probably your best bet to stop the behavior.
  • RikkaRikka
    On one hand, I will agree coming home to an overly-excited puppy when you had a stressful day or something is aggravating (maybe it's just me?) and there are ways of curbing that. You're doing good by ignoring it, but you'll have to be even "tougher." What I would do when Sagan was "OH MY GOD HELLO HI YOU SHOULD FEEL MY TEETH WHILE I SAY HELLO" was that I would immediately turn around, give zero eye contact, and basically show that he doesn't exist. It sucks, and it may sound kinda cruel, but it works. It may take a few days.

On the OTHER hand, yeah... gonna agree with @Bootz. 9 times out of 10, Sagan will stare at me and then go back to sleep when I get home from work. I've gotten used to it, since he's not a shower for his affection, but I know of a lot of Shiba owners who'd love the attention yours gives, lol. He will give one or two minutes of undivided attention to new people at the house, but then he'll stop.

One example is that I took a two week trip to NYC, and when I came back (TWO WEEKS OF BEING GONE!), he didn't give any sort of inclination of "I missed you!" or anything. He did come upstairs for some pets while I was unpacking, but that's about it.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Lol @Rikka, I feel like that's what I'm going to come back to with Tali after my trip from China in another week. I asked my boyfriend whether she missed me or went looking for me like my other dogs when I left. Nope. Not at all!

She also seems to get way more excited with him than me because she'll actively go look for him or go straight to his side of the bed when I let her out of her crate in the morning, airplane ears and all. I get nothing but a sniff =( Dangit girl, I feed you, I train you, I spoil you, I nurture you and you go to the one that does nothing! /notbitter
  • JuniJuni
    The first time we'd left her and gone on holiday she stayed with my mum for a week. Oh she was exstatic when we came back! We came back in the middle of the night and once we'd gone to bed Juni kept getting up on the bed with her front paws to get a good look at me and to reassure herself I really was there. Over and over. So cute.
  • jarvizjarviz
    Yea, it's not really a big deal that she gets super excited when I come home. but it becomes a problem when it's other people or kids short enough where her claws can reach their face.

I don't mind the excitement as long as stay on the ground, and not jump incessantly at the same door that I'm trying to come through.
  • jarvizjarviz
    Nikkitine said:

Lol @Rikka, I feel like that's what I'm going to come back to with Tali after my trip from China in another week. I asked my boyfriend whether she missed me or went looking for me like my other dogs when I left. Nope. Not at all!

She also seems to get way more excited with him than me because she'll actively go look for him or go straight to his side of the bed when I let her out of her crate in the morning, airplane ears and all. I get nothing but a sniff =( Dangit girl, I feed you, I train you, I spoil you, I nurture you and you go to the one that does nothing! /notbitter

Just curious about your situation because I think my gf is in the same boat as you. She does all of that but it's pretty apparent our shiba listens to me more and shows more affection towards me. I think that's because I'm her primary care handler. Is that the same of you guys? My gf gets upset when our shiba doesn't listen to her but obeys immediately when I give a command lol.
    Post edited by jarviz at 2015-03-07 15:56:16
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Most dogs will typically chose one member of the family as "their person" - and normally will show more loyalty and obedience to that person. It's not unusual and isn't necessarily a "Shiba" trait.

Kira definitely looks to me as her person. If my fiancé has the day off and Kira is home with him, she looks out the front door constantly for me. He went away for 3 days for work and she was content at her usual spot next to me by the couch. She didn't look for him at all.

When it comes to commands, she listens pretty equally. That is much more dependent on the person and how "firm" and frequent they are with the dog's training, honestly. We both have good dog training experience so that's why she listens well.

I love how excited and happy Kira is when I come home, or even when I take out the trash and return after coming back inside. That waggly tail, happy grunting, and Yoda ears are the things that I look forward to every day.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka when you've had a stressful day, the shiba ears don't make it better? :( always does for me. Our furbabies are so cute!

@jarviz

You can train your shiba not to jump/paw. I've trained my shiba so that she will just do the mouth thing (where she puts her mouth the around my hand when she's super excited and "hugs" it with her tongue).

My shiba use to jump on everybody, but I trained it out of her. She has mellowed out since then and only gets excited for certain people.

• NikkitineNikkitine
    @jarviz - Tali shows more affection towards my boyfriend yes, but in terms of who wears the doggy pants, that would be me. All the dogs listen to me but turns a deaf ear to my bf unless he has treats. I believe she probably sees my bf more as a littermate since she associates nothing but good things from him like playtime and fun, whereas I'm considered the fun nazi and disciplinarian. I really don't mind it though, she shows her affection to me in a variety of other ways and we still have a strong bond. I'm the first one she runs to if she's in trouble or needs comforting.

Your gf shouldn't be upset if she doesn't get the Shiba love the most, it's part of the breed and being a dog. They can be pretty selective of who they choose to be affectionate towards, dogs and humans alike. As long as she's not aggressive or shy towards your gf, that's a good sign. Maybe have your gf try more bonding activities with her like feeding her and training her? Balancing out the doggy duties between both of you could help in strengthening that bond.
    Post edited by Nikkitine at 2015-03-07 17:32:38
  • RikkaRikka
    @Bootz - Lol, it's not the Shiba ears, it's the pouncing and scratching the shit out of my legs with his nails - I'm already stressed getting home, so added minor physical harm = pls stop. Granted, Sagan doesn't do this often. It's just sometimes. ;P
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • renitiadbrenitiadb
    I LOVE coming home to Fen's excitement! I actually wait outside the door and stare in the little window at the top and watch him for a second - he is just sitting there STARING intently at the door handle, and the minute it turns he is Shiba smiles and airplane ears (first time seeing them called that - LOVE it!!) and butt shaking! I LOVE it! The nipping is a problem, yes, especially when he does it to other people because they don't understand his mouthiness - they think he is being "aggressive". I had someone accuse Fen of being aggressive the other day when I wasn't home, and I was concerned, but once we talked about it I realized he was being nippy, but not aggressive (but some people just don't see any difference).

BTW - I love the idea of a "settle" command. Absolutely LOVE it! Can someone give me more details? Exactly what behavior does it entail?
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @renitiadb - here a couple links for ya

http://dogtime.com/dog-training-settle-down-dunbar.html

http://www.grcco.org/teaching_your_dog_to_settle.htm

The second link recommends having your dog on it's side or back. If your Shiba doesn't like that, a simple down stay should work as it did with my lab. I carry and have Tali on her back on my lap for 15 minutes a day to train her to settle and for future nail clippings. She's a ragdoll Shiba, as I like to call it since she barely squirms or puts up a fuss when carried.
  • jarvizjarviz
    I tried the settle technique with my previous dogs and it did help. But I'm trying to get to the point where the shiba doesn't jump or run around in the first place.

My gf and I have been doing the Ignoring and No attention routine until she calms down and I'm seeing some pretty good progress. The only thing that's bothering me is she still mouth hugs (not really biting or nipping) on my hand to get attention, which I have just been folding my arms or putting them in my pocket to get them out of her reach.

Is there a better way to correct this? I don't want her to get used to putting her mouth around mine or other people's hands. But I don't want to give her attention during this training either.
  • @jarviz

If you always have your dog sit or lay down patiently before getting something he/she wants (attention, or to go outside or whatever) they will associate that waiting patiently/calmly gets them what they want. So if she mouths your hand, ignore her until she stops for 10 seconds or so, then ask her to sit or lay down. After she does, give her a reward (going outside, attention).
  • sunyatasunyata
    @jarviz - You need to work on impulse control and "leave it".

Doggie Zen is a great way to do it. Here is a link:
    http://www.stubbypuddin.com/2014/02/doggie-zen.html

You can also search the forum for more tips on impulse control and Doggie Zen.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • vmleopardvmleopard
    @jarviz - work on a place command. when the shiba gets excited, do the place command and when you're done with what you're doing. you can go over and pet/play.

I personally just practice mine to wait at the door sitting whenever they sense someone is coming through the door and remain sitting until I give a release word. I didn't mind the attention at first, but then I had to carry larger amount of groceries or whatever and I didn't want to step on him. I give him a task to do whenever I have groceries. I set the lightest plastic bag on the floor and have him help me bring it in. That way he feels like he is contributing too and it redirect his energy/focus. Plus it is cool when friends come over and they bring stuff and set it down. "Hey need a hand? Chopper "groceries!"" The look on their face :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)