For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Driving 2000+ miles with a Shiba, a Cat, and a big lab x
  • I have worked in the veterinary field before and we use to prescribe ACE for dogs that had difficulty travelling...Well Mango hyperventilates and is rambunctious in the car. No matter what I do (use a thunder shirt, try to get him acclemated, etc) nothing seems to help. We are driving the ALCAN this summer to our new home in Alaska and I am looking for ideas on how to keep him relaxed. Thoughts?
  • Crate him. That way he doesnt distract you while trying to drive.
  • BootzBootz
    ^ what omgtain said, and even try tiring him out before the drive with a long walk, fetch, tug of war?

I give my dogs bully sticks to distract them. They don't get car sick.
  • Problem is with crating is that he just cries and cries....but I will try it!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I would also recommend doing some trial runs of short to longer road trips. Start with just driving him in the crate for short distances and increase the time.

I know lots of our forum members prefer not to use crates because they don't need to, but this is a perfect example of why it's so important to get them accustomed to and trained with a crate when they are younger.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Netsirksmada - There are several other threads about long distance travel with dogs on the forum. I suggest you read through those threads to get some ideas. There are also a couple of threads about dogs who get anxious in the car and threads on crate training.

Since there are threads on all of these topics already, I am going to go ahead and close this one. However, if after reading you still have questions or want to continue the discussion, feel free to post in the most relevant existing thread.

Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)