For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Conflicting Information
  • I have read a lot of conflicting information about rescuing a Shiba. I am interested in rescuing an adult male. I have been told that they are/are not good apartment dogs. I was told by one rescue that the dog would need to be walked 4 times a day but I also read that twice a day is ok. A breeder said that they do not recommend taking the Shiba to a dog park, but I have also read that its ok. I have read that it is good to have a crate for the dog, but I have friends who said it is inhumane to crate a dog. I disagree. There is a fenced dog park 7 minutes from my house. I would, of course, check it out on my own, before taking my dog. I live between 2 parks, so there is plenty of room for exercise. I hope I am posting this in the right place. I look forward to reading any comments anyone wishes to make.
    Thank you
  • The rescue that has been taking care of the dog would know best. Every dog is different though.

Shibas in particular are very particular and have a independent streak. If you rescue a dog who hasn't been well socialized, then it's probably not a good idea to take him to a dog park. If you happen to have a very high energy dog or a younger dog, you might need more/longer walks. Hopefully for the dog you are planning on rescuing, there might be some of his history available for you to read or you might even be able to contact his foster family or previous owners. But especially if your rescue dog hasn't been socialized to certain things, there will be more specific rules for that dog.

If you look in the puppy woes section, there are a few threads on crating and that sort of thing. But the threads in the behavior/training and socialization threads might be more of a help if you are rescuing an older dog!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    All these depend on the dog, an apartment dog may have to be walked more than say, a dog that has the privilege of a fenced backyard.

Adopting a rescue dog will make your plight much more difficult, though. Rescues are particular (as they should be) and if you offer the same features as another possible adopter but they have a fenced yard, you probably won't be chosen.

I don't recommend dog parks at all, Shibas can be reactive to dogs and they have a particular behavior and body language that other dogs just don't understand such as intense staring and are vocal when angry AND happy. I have taken my almost 2 year old to dog parks only twice in her life and even though we didn't have a bad experience, probably never will again to avoid one.

Crating would be best for a rescue, but sometimes if they have been exposed to negative experiences with cages (puppy mill Shibas) then it wouldn't be good.

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Just my two cents on dog parks....

1. Do you trust that all other owners that bring their dogs to dog parks have them probably vaccinated? I think dog parks can just be a breeding pond for all kinds of yuckiness that I would not like to expose my Shiba to.

2. IMO, I think that it can only take one bad incident with another dog or dogs that can change your dog forever.

I would also recommend using a crate or pen, more so for the safety of the dog when you can't be with them.

photo d48c316d-ce82-4a25-89fa-c1b57a673aa8_zpsqzf1t0cc.jpg
    Forever in our hearts.
  • Thank you for your responses. :)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Having only two chances to pee/poop a day? Is that what you are asking?

"Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • zandramezandrame
    Yeah, in general Shibas aren't dog park material. As adults they become pickier about what dogs they prefer to associate with, and can get offended by strange dogs up in their faces.

Two walks a day is not enough, if that's the only chance they'll get to pee/poop. Two long walks as purely exercise is ok though, if there are other opportunities to relieve themselves like a yard or quick walks. They shouldn't be forced to regularly go more than 6-8 hours without a chance to pee.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Shibas can make excellent apartment dogs as long as they are given enough mental and physical stimulation. Two walks a day is NOT enough, especially since walks will be the dog's only chance to use the bathroom (can YOU imagine going to the bathroom only twice a day if you are properly hydrated?). As mentioned above, two long walks plus shorter potty walks would be okay. Lots of threads on exercise (and potty habits) if you want to read more.

In my opinion, Shibas are not dog park dogs. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I know very few adult Shibas (>3 years) that are good at dog parks. There are loads of other ways to exercise, stimulate, and socialize a Shiba that dog parks are really not even necessary. Lots of threads on dog parks and socialization if you want to read more.

Crate training a dog is great, and since dogs are den animals, it is not cruel if done properly. Lots of threads on crate training if you want to read more.

Please read through the existing threads on the forum, as ALL of your questions have been asked and answered many times.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I live in a +/-750 sf apartment and don't find my dog (1 year, 5 months) to be uncomfortable in the apartment since he gets ample excersise.

He gets (at a minimum) 3 outside trips a day (all are minimum 45 minutes). The morning walk, a daily romp with his pals courtesy of the trainer (45 min - 4 hours) while I am at work, and then an hour walk after dinner-time. When I first got him (16 weeks old), it was 7 out door trips a day. (two before work, two while I was at work, one as soon as i got home, one after dinner, and one right before bed time).

As far as "park dogs" go, thats going to be up to you. I've asked the trainer if banjo will outgrow his affinity for dogs and he said that every shiba he's dealt with showed signs of telling other dogs to buzz off when they were puppies, but not Banjo. I think a LOT of it has to do with how often he goes. His whole life, the park and other dogs have just been a regular thing. I wouldn't bank on a dog park being a guaranteed good outlet for your shiba's energy since they can be anti-other dogs.
  • Thank you all for your input. I have some thinking to do before I make a comitment.
    I do love the breed, but I have to make sure that I will be able to provide him with everything to make his life a happy one. I might consider a dog walker, if I am not able to get home at lunch time.
    Post edited by splinky51 at 2015-01-29 12:35:58

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)