For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
A Bit Rough With The Cats
  • I did search the forum, but didn't see any posts about this. Sorry if I missed them.

So Tang is 6 months now. Full of energy and kind of a butthead.

The biggest problem we seem to be having right now is he is being rather rough with the cats. Not mean or aggressive. he is just trying to get them to play. Of course, if they run, he chases them. The good thing is they have lots of high up places to go. But I'm looking for ideas on how to get him to settle down with them.

Roscoe is one of our most easy going cats. Sometimes he will kind of play with Tang. But eventually Tang will get all hyped up and start tackling him and nipping. He pulls out chunks of fur while tackling Roscoe.

Our other cat Amelia, just flat out hates Tang. When he gets within a foot of her, no matter what, she swats at him. He just wants to play with her.

he doesn't hurt them, but I don't want him tackling them and rolling around. He's over 20lbs now and tackling will end up hurting the cats. He mostly does this with Roscoe.

We've tried distraction, toys, rewards for not chasing or tackling, kennel breaks and water bottle. He only sort of listens when we tell him to do something.

Oh, and we have gated off areas the cats can get to. But its still a pain for them

Moxy did this too when he was little and he grew out of it, but he wasn't so rough with them. PJ treats the cats like her babies and isn't rough with them at all.

Thoughts?
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Thanks! I actually did several searches for cats and shibas and didn't get any hits. So thank you for posting those links. Umm.. might be a good idea to take a look at the search option. I just looked again and the only post that came up for "cats" or "chasing cats" was my post. :/
  • sunyatasunyata
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)