For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Veterinarian Search Oakland/Bay Area?
  • If there is a thread on this I didn't see - apologize in advance if I missed it - on Vet recommendations.

I am looking for a holistic/modern thinking Vet in Oakland/Bay Area. We live in Hawaii and Koji is taking first plane ride to California next week...I need to take him to local vet for health cert and tick treatment to fly him back home to HI / avoid quarantine.

If goes well would like to take him back and forth in future and need a relationship with CA vet.

He is VERY dramatic at vets office. We have awesome vet here that talks to him on floor, uses treats and has good understanding of dog/Shiba behavior - I'm afraid that the vet by our place in Oakland seems old school and Koji will rebel if they drag him around and throw him on the metal table etc..I don't think I need to tell Shiba owners what happens then! ha ha...

He'll be labeled difficult/aggressive which he's not...aggressive. Maybe a little difficult if you don't understand him.

Anybody around Oakland - Berkeley have a great Shiba friendly vet they can recommend?
  • BootzBootz
    @curlytails might be able to help.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hey @Koji's mom! I've been sort of MIA for a while and missed the news about your big move! Yup, Oakland/Berkeley is my territory.

My two Bows go to Campus Veterinary Clinic:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/campus-veterinary-clinic-berkeley

We've stuck with them for several years now. They're a blended practice, not purely holistic. I've found that they're receptive to my preferences when I tell them I'd rather not try certain procedures or drugs, and find something less invasive or more natural or whatever. The techs are friendly, and both docs are good, though I've found Dr. Reid (the female doc) to have a gentler touch with Bowdu. She's always willing to get on the floor with both dogs, doesn't insist on putting them up on the exam table, etc. They do give treats, etc., though they're crappy treats. ;)

Bowdu gets fully prepped before going to the vet though. He gets Acepromazine for more intensive exams that involve lots of handling and blood draws. He's also got his Thunder Shirt and muzzle. He's known as a good patient despite it all, though he's not necessarily a favorite at the clinic. They've come to a mutual understanding though.

Anne Reed/All Paws Holistic also comes highly recommended:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/all-paws-holistic-veterinarian-clinic-point-richmond

She makes house calls. She knows what she's doing. And she's pricy.

Many of my friends highly recommend Creature Comfort Holistic Veterinary Center:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/creature-comfort-holistic-veterinary-center-oakland?osq=creature+comforts

I've checked them out before too and yes, also pricy.

Avoid all VCAs. There's a few others I wouldn't recommend either, but I'd rather keep this positive. Let me know if any of these recs helped you, and feel free to PM me for more specifics!

Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • @Curlytails - Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate all the good info - So important to find vet that understands our cat-dogs :)

• @curlytails PS...I'm so excited to bring Koji to Oakland - Hawaii is awesome, but can't wait for him to feel cold weather (January :) and all the great hiking - It will be like a social experiment - watch his reaction to temps, different flora and fauna.

Thanks again...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)