For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Hill's I/D Diet
  • Well I searched the forum, and I came to noticed that there isn't a lot about vet prescription diets. Currently I am feeding my shiba the hill's I/d but I having a hard time transitioning him to Fromm grain free Salmon Tunalini, when I increase the food to 30 percent new and 70 percent old he gets diarrhea, today he actually vomited undigested food. When the diarrhea happens I will switch him back onto Hill's I/D until it's firmed again and start the transition process over. If all those who are wondering he had giardia a few weeks ago and on the hill's i/d his stool firmed up. Any one else have any insights on prescription gastrointestinal diets and switching back to normal food or having trouble doing so.
  • I won't feed the prescription food. Doesn't look very food esque to me.

I'd go to a boiled chicken and rice with a probiotic diet and then transition off that directly to the new food. I am guessing all of the various diet changes are doing a number in his gut.
  • boiled rice and chicken will not give enough nutrition to a dog per vet.
  • That's why I suggested a probiotic. You can also use a multivitamin/supplement for balanced nutrition. If you look at the ingredients in the hills its predominantly fillers and vitamins.
  • CaliaCalia
  • I have only tried fromm so far, he was on panacur once daily with metronidazole twice daily and prostora for 7 days.
    Post edited by hoisanjai at 2014-12-21 21:41:24
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Plan is that I am going to wait for his stools to return to a consistency I like, while I research on foods.
  • I came to a conclusion, when he was pup he was on royal canin with the breeder. I think his mother was fed that while she was pregnant. And he tolerated hill's i/d and purina en, and I am currently looking at the ingredients. He had diarrhea since he has been switched to grain free. All the three brands I just named has rice, corn, and chicken. So I guess I am going to stick with something that has rice, corn, and chicken in it. That should help hopefully.

The vet told me to try a purina/hill brand and I cringed.
    Post edited by hoisanjai at 2014-12-22 09:20:21
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2014-12-23 16:00:50
  • I went for California Natural Puppy, and see if he can tolerate it. I passed on Natural Balance because carbs are their first main ingredient. So hope this works for now.
  • !0 percent 90 percent, half firm/formed stool, and rest diarrhea. But he is also on Rimadyl and Metronidazole. So I have no idea what's going on, but I will continue doing 10/90 until i get firmed/formed stools.
  • I'm sure I'm missing some information, but it might be worth it to not switch his food while he's on the meds. Wait until he's all healthy and then make the switch...

Our pup was on meds for a while as a puppy, and we hated the food she was eating, but everytime we tried to switch her while she was on the meds - GI upset popped up. So we waited until she was off them to switch... just my two cents.

It might help narrow down what's causing the GI upset (food or the meds).

We discovered it was the food we tried to switch her to, it did not agree with her.
  • Right now I have him on rice and chicken, for about 5 days now and his stool is getting better. He have like one bowel movement every 36 hours maybe longer, vet told me not to worry until it's 48-72 hours. Meds were done as of today, I am wondering if I should try a probiotic, but I am scared it will mess everything up again.
  • SayaSaya
  • omgtainomgtain
  • Purina is own by nestle, and proctor and gamble owns California natural (natura). So you can say Iams owns California natural.
  • BootzBootz
  • Dog Food Advisor has it rated at 4 stars, so I will stick with it. It's still better than Purina and Hills.
  • hoisanjaihoisanjai
    He is on Blackwood Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon Flavor since January.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)