For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The Shiba inu and Geography
  • TaikoTaiko
    The Shiba inu and Geography

Originally, the Shiba Inu was bred to hunt and flush small game, such as birds and rabbits. Despite efforts to preserve the breed, the Shiba nearly became extinct during World War II due to a combination of food shortage and a post-war distemper epidemic.All subsequent dogs were bred from the only three surviving bloodlines.

These bloodlines were the Shinshu Shiba from Nagano Prefecture, the Mino Shiba from Gifu Prefecture, and the San’in Shiba from Tottori and Shimane Prefectures.The Shinshu Shibas possessed a solid undercoat, with a dense layer of guard-hairs, and were small and red in color.

The Mino Shibas tended to have thick, prick ears, and possessed a sickle tail, rather than the common curled tail found on most modern Shibas. The San’in Shibas were larger than most modern shibas, and tended to be black, without the common tan and white accents found on modern black-and-tan shibas.When the study of Japanese dogs was formalized in the early and mid-20th century, these three strains were combined into one overall breed, the Shiba Inu.

Geography

Nagano Prefecture

Nagano is an inland prefecture and it borders more prefectures than any other in Japan. Nagano contains the point furthest from the sea in the whole of Japan - this point lies within the city of Saku. The province’s mountains have made it relatively isolated, and many visitors come to Nagano for its mountain resorts and hot springs. Nine of the twelve highest mountains in Japan can be found in Nagano and one of its lakes, Lake Kizaki, is a beach resort popular for its water attractions and games.

As of April 1, 2012, 21% of the total land area of the prefecture was designated as Natural Parks, namely the Chichibu Tama Kai, Chūbu-Sangaku, Jōshin’etsu Kōgen, and Minami Alps National Parks; Myōgi-Arafune-Saku Kōgen, Tenryū-Okumikawa, and Yatsugatake-Chūshin Kōgen Quasi-National Parks; and Chūō Alps, Enrei Ōjō, Hijiriyama Kōgen, Mibugawa Suikei, Ontake, and Tenryū Koshibu Suikei Prefectural Natural Parks.

Gifu Prefecture

The northern Hida region is dominated by tall mountains, including parts of the Japanese Alps. The southern Mino region is mostly parts of the fertile Nōbi Plain, a vast plains area with arable soil. Most of the prefecture’s population lives in the southern part of the prefecture, near the designated city of Nagoya.

The mountainous Hida region contains both the Hida Mountains,which are referred to as the “Northern Alps,” and the Kiso Mountains, which are known as the “Central Alps” in Japan. The Ryōhaku Mountains are also in the Hida region. Other major ranges include the Ibuki Mountains and the Yōrō Mountains.

Much of the Mino region is made up of the alluvial plain of the Kiso Three Rivers, which are the Ibi River, Kiso River and Nagara River. The sources of all three rivers are in Nagano Prefecture and they eventually run through Aichi and Mie prefectures before emptying into Ise Bay. Other major rivers in the prefecture include the Jinzū, Takahara, Shō, Shōnai, Yahagi and Itoshiro rivers.

Tottori Prefecture

Tottori is home to the Tottori Sand Dunes, Japan’s only large dune system. As of 1 April 2012, 14% of the total land area of the prefecture was designated as Natural Parks, namely the Daisen-Oki and Sanin Kaigan National Parks; Hiba-Dōgo-Taishaku and Hyōnosen-Ushiroyama-Nagisan Quasi-National Parks; and Misasa-Tōgōko, Nishi Inaba, and Okuhino Prefectural Natural Parks.

Shimane Prefecture

Shimane Prefecture is situated on the Sea of Japan side of the Chugoku region. Because of its mountainous landscape, rice farming is done mostly in the Izumo plain where the city of Izumo is located. Another major landform is the Shimane peninsula. The peninsula is located across the Sea of Japan from Izumo to Sakaiminato, which is located in Tottori prefecture. Also, the peninsula created two sea water lakes, Lake Shinji and Nakaumi. The island of Daikon is located in Nakaumi. Off the main island of Honshū, the island of Oki is in Shimane prefecture as well. The island itself is in the Daisen-Oki National Park. Shimane also claims the use of Liancourt Rocks, which they are in dispute with South Korea.

As of 1 April 2012, 6% of the total land area of the prefecture was designated as Natural Parks, namely Daisen-Oki National Park; Hiba-Dōgo-Taishaku and Nishi-Chūgoku Sanchi Quasi-National Parks; and eleven Prefectural Natural Parks.

I think it is the geography that makes the Shiba inu. It’s natural home is in the mountains. I see this when I’m in the mountains with Taiko. All the prefectures where is the Shiba inu hails from have mountainous terrain. They also have a high percentage of Natural (National) Parks. I am so tempted to buy a ticket out to Japan for this coming spring and walk the trails of the Shiba inu homelands. There’s a book in that adventure for sure. What a crazy idea. I might just do it. I mean hot springs and mountains and conifers and wildflowers…

The Shiba inu is not a city dog or an apartment dog. They’re mountain dogs. It’s obvious.

[mod edit: changed category and closed thread due to duplicate topic]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-11-04 15:09:00
  • SayaSaya
    Thanks for posting this. I love reading about Japan. :)

It's not too hilly in my area, but few steep parts and small ravines.. Saya loves going up and down them and makes it look so easy. She also loves climbing fallen trees.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Taiko - There have been posts on Shiba history on the forum in the past. We do ask that members search for existing posts before posting a new thread on a similar topic.

We also ask that all new members introduce themselves to the community before being given full access to the forum. You will need to do that. So why not (in your other thread), introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you and how you became interested in Shibas? Once you do so, you will be promoted to a full member and can then read the existing threads on Shiba history and post your insights in the appropriate thread.

Thanks! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)