For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas and Akitas at auction; donations to rescues needed!
  • (I crossposted this from my original post on the NK forum)

Recently some Akitas were rescued from a mill closing down--these dogs are currently at BEAR. There is another auction coming up, and there will be more Akitas up for auction, as well as a number of Shibas. Please consider donating even a few dollars to help the rescues who are trying to save these dogs from a horrible life in the mills. The next auction is Nov. 2, and I believe there are something like 30 Shiba up for sale, as well as some Akita.

Here's more information on the Akitas: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ZACs-Mission-No-Akitas-in-Puppy-Mills/634498599996282

and here is BEAR's page (they recently took in a number of Akitas from a mill closure): http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net/

There are several Shiba groups involved in this as well. Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue talks about the rescue on FB: https://www.facebook.com/shibarescue and their regular page is here: http://www.shibarescue.org/

Also, a new rescue group is involved in getting the Shibas out at the auction: https://www.facebook.com/savemescout

and tri-state Shiba Inu rescue: http://www.tristateshiba.org/

Even if it's only $5 or $10, it really can add up, so donate if you can. I just sent my donations into BEAR and MSIR.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-10-31 13:15:12
  • RooneyRooney
    Thanks @ShibaMistress! I actually just contacted MSIR about volunteering/driving for them, but I think I might donate $$ for the auction as well. I just think of the things I've had to help Rooney overcome and his situation was still better than a full on mill and it just breaks my heart. :(( =((
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • It really is heartbreaking. Zacs mission has some heartbreaking videos of the Akitas being taken of the pens they are kept in. They are kept in "calf pens" a narrow walled enclosure. Most of the Akitas were too scared to come out, and they couldn't walk on the grass (they didn't know what it was). some had to be carried out. It was truly awful, and awful for ALL dogs who go through this....
  • One of the Nihon Ken Forum members posted that there are 43 Shibas involved. 4 Shiba rescues responding to auction.

Donated. Shared information with some of folks here in Northern CA and Northern NV.
  • Yes, I just saw that myself. 43 Shibas! And Akitas too..... :(
  • umi-sanumi-san
    Donation done :P
  • Yay for donations!

The auction is Saturday, and there are 43 Shibas up for auction, far more than the involved rescues probably have money to buy. But as someone on Shibaholics noted, if everyone there gave just $2, they would have plenty of money to try to rescue Shibas and some for vetting the dogs too. We also have a lot of members, so even if all people can give is a couple of dollars, it would have a huge effect on the rescues involved.

No donation is too small! (or too big, ha!)
  • One more. They really need $ TODAY, October 31, so they can buy as many of these dogs as possible and get them out of cages and a life of misery and into homes. Also, if you are concerned about buying dogs from mills (a legitimate concern) please read MSIR's statement on this, pasted from their FB page (below):

From MSIR:

Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue added 11 new photos.
    Remember these sweet faces? All of them at one time or another were in commercial breeding operations. We realize that many people do not support rescues participating in puppy mill auctions and there are questions as to why MSIR is now involved. The auction that is to be held this coming Saturday is from a commercial breeder who is going out of business, partially due to changes with state and USDA regulations. Simply put, little by little, voices are being heard by animal lovers who are fighting against puppy mills.

MSIR became involved because there are 49 Shibas listed for sale at the auction. That is 49 Shibas who have a chance to experience life in a loving home. That is 49 Shibas who will no longer be part of the puppy mill system, forced to be bred over and over while living in deplorable conditions. That is 49 Shibas other commercial breeders will not have access to if MSIR and other rescue groups are able to save them.

MSIR in no way supports purchasing dogs from commercial breeders, but when an auction is held due to a commercial breeder going out of business, it is our responsibility to the Shibas to help.

Although we are expecting to see an influx of dogs due to the auction, MSIR will not be over-looking other dogs in need of homes. As long as we have volunteers, foster homes and financial ability, MSIR will help as many Shibas as we possibly can.

No rescue organization is rich – we survive on donations and the generosity of others. Many of our supporters have been so generous but we once again must ask for donations to help save the Shibas. A pregnant female can cost up to $2500!! You can make your donation online at https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=MJY6TvXD6tyj6Kmo9osyaxAdRk7K41aUmR4UmaBIjPjzjuLiBVWdWSZrt2m&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d66f31424b43e9a70645c907a6cbd8fb4
    Thank you for your support!

• Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well!

Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2014-10-31 12:59:00
  • A couple more links:

I forgot to link Tri-state Shiba Inu Rescue which will be at the auction tomorrow:

http://www.tristateshiba.org/

(though I went back and added them to the original post)

crossposted from NK forum:

If you don't want to give money directly for the auction, consider buying something from Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue's wish list:

Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue Wish List
    Link: http://amzn.com/w/1SKR58LQOP4E6

Also, all of the rescues will happily take money for the dogs they already have, if you would prefer not to donate directly to the auction itself. Most rescues (like MSIR, etc), say that if you want your $ to go to the auction, make a note of that (say for the mill dogs, or whatever).
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-10-31 13:15:35
  • bumping this again. While the rescues are delighted at the donations they've got, they are at the auction now and the dogs are going for more than expected. There are also a lot of Amish at the auction to buy dogs for their mills. Amish mills are some of the worst of the worst. PLEASE help if you can--we don't want these Shibas to go from one puppy mill to yet another, which will likely even be worse!
  • Does anyone have a total rescued by all the rescues. I heard Tri-State got 16 alone!
  • I hear they got 35 out of 45, including a mom with 6 puppies!!!
    Post edited by Kireielayson at 2014-11-01 19:05:54
  • Yep, that's what I heard, except the last count I saw said there were only 42 Shiba available, so rescue got all but 7. So sorry for those 7, but it's a huge deal that rescue was able to save so many!
  • I heard tat too. And one of the ones in the catalog was puled before auction, so maybe we missed only 6? Either way it is an awesome job! Now let's get fosters and other help going!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I'm very glad so many of the dogs were rescued. Great effort indeed!

I cringed when the Amish were brought up. Maybe the worst of the worst. There was a recent bust of a Amish mill just north of where I live. The Township did just about everything they could to shut them down...yet allowed the relatives of the family(who were shut down) to buy the dogs!!! So from one hell to another...and most likely, to a certain extent, back into the hands of the original offenders. Insane!!!

I've been trying to understand the laws in these parts, and why the OSPCA(Ontario, Canada) wasn't allowed to seize the dogs. It's beyond me.

Just glad there was a platform for these Shibas/Akitas to be rescued, no matter how morbid dog auctions actually are!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • ToshiToshi
    Donated. Hope these dogs thrive in a loving forever home.
  • Kobe1468 said:

I'm very glad so many of the dogs were rescued. Great effort indeed!

I cringed when the Amish were brought up. Maybe the worst of the worst. There was a recent bust of a Amish mill just north of where I live. The Township did just about everything they could to shut them down...yet allowed the relatives of the family(who were shut down) to buy the dogs!!! So from one hell to another...and most likely, to a certain extent, back into the hands of the original offenders. Insane!!!

I've been trying to understand the laws in these parts, and why the OSPCA(Ontario, Canada) wasn't allowed to seize the dogs. It's beyond me.

Just glad there was a platform for these Shibas/Akitas to be rescued, no matter how morbid dog auctions actually are!!

I don't know....I know in the US the mills are a legal business, and the requirements for "humane" treatment for the dogs is really pretty awful, except I suppose if those laws weren't in place, it would be even worse. And they also can get citation after citation without being shut down.....

It really is horrible. But I'm glad these dogs got out. there are a lot of pics of the dogs on Shibaholics, and people were noting how even the puppies, so young, are afraid to come out of the crates, and someone was saying how can they be so young and so afraid? Because they've already suffered trauma, both in the womb and in their very young lives. There's a link in the puppy mill thread about this, but there were some studies that were showing how stress hormones from fearful and/or traumatized bitches effect puppies before the pups are even born, and of course mill puppies get that. So even with the pups, it's going to be a long road with these dogs, but the puppies will probably come around sooner than the adult dogs. Still, they're going to need patient families, who are well educated about Shibas.....They were saved, thankfully, but their journeys have just begun...
  • Shared the auction results with the Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup and some other folks in Northern CA/NV.
  • RooneyRooney

Yep, that's what I heard, except the last count I saw said there were only 42 Shiba available, so rescue got all but 7. So sorry for those 7, but it's a huge deal that rescue was able to save so many!

This just made me tear up! That's great news they were able to rescue so many! It's sad that they didn't get 6 of them though. :(
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • Go visit the Tri-State Shiba Rescue FB and Save Me Scout FB. Pictures of some of the rescued dogs already posted and updates. Apparently, Tracy with MSIR negotiated with one of the breeders and Save Me Scout wound up with additional dogs. (Originally, they just had one possibly pregnant girl from the auction.)
  • Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue
    3 hours ago · Edited
    It is time for us to issue you, our supporters and volunteers, a giant THANK YOU for your help over this past week. Countless volunteers stepped up to foster and transport dogs and over $10,000 was donated to MSIR to help this effort - to save shibas from life in a puppy mill. Working with 3 other shiba rescues, 34 shibas were saved from the auction this weekend and will begin to know the good life. From the bottom of our shiba-loving hearts, we thank you. And 34 shibas thank you too - with Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue Inc., NW Shibas4LIfe Rescue, & Save Me Scout Rescue

The Tri state Shiba Rescue update: https://www.facebook.com/tssir

Save Me Scout Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/savemescout
  • RooneyRooney
    Just saw on the Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue Facebook page that one of the rescues from the auction, Malea, is pregnant. From the ultrasound, it looks like 5 of them. What a sneaky girl helping rescue save 5 more lives from a life locked in a tiny mill cage. Smart girl!
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • RooneyRooney
    There was another puppy mill auction last weekend in Missouri. Two rescues were able to pull 7 Shibas out of the 10 up for auction. That's 7 very lucky Shibas going to loving forever homes instead of back into a new puppy mill. Two of the girls pulled were 8 years old and still being bred!

Unfortunately, I know at least one of the rescues went over their budget to get the dogs they did. If you would like to contribute to either rescue, they are Angels Left Behind (pulled 5 dogs) www.angelsleftbehind.org and Save Me Scout (pulled 2 dogs) http://savemescoutrescue.rescueme.org/

One of the dogs saved by ALB, Cara (formerly known as Dandy), was up for auction on her birthday. She now has twice as many reasons to celebrate each year (birthday and freedom date).
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • @rooney,

Do you know how much they went over by? I want to help bridge the gap.
  • RooneyRooney
    @BanjoTheBetaDog
    I'm not completely sure. One of the volunteers for ALB said "We went over budget a little so if anyone can donate...it will help with the fees as well as vetting." She didn't give a specific number, so I would say whatever you are comfortable with donating. Every little bit helps and I'm sure they have received other donations since the auction. Even $5 donations add up.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • RooneyRooney
    I do not know which, if any rescues are going to attend, but there is another puppy mill auction scheduled for April 18th in Westside, Iowa. Here's the auction bill link:
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/d384ba_a1f9623477214f2b9f0776180e15a3a0.pdf

Makes me so sad. There are quite a few Shibas, but other breeds are on there as well.

Edit: Just saw that Save Me Scout Rescue is looking for donations/fosters specifically to try and pull some of these dogs since the auction is from a mill closing down/going out of business.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
    Post edited by Rooney at 2015-04-02 12:45:32
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    OMG this poor Cairn terrier is 11 years old!!! :((

FE
    Roxie's Flower
    E09-AZ-BE-30471T
    DOB: 9/27/04
    #1 KLK
    016-057-826
    Comments:APRI Reg. Color:Wheaten - She has large litters. Kennel sellout.

SOOOOO many Shibas and Siberian huskies. And lots of Cream Shibas on top of that. I will have to check out Save Me Scout on Facebook to see how they do. Hoping they get most of them. There are so many though. :(
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • sunyatasunyata
    Kira_Kira said:

She has large litters.

Ugh. I hate people. An 11 year old dog should NOT be sold as a breeder. (Not that anything else about this whole thing is okay.)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • RooneyRooney
    Looks like Underdog Rescue in MN will be partnering with Save Me Scout to pull dogs at the auction and Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue might be able to help take in a few of the dogs that are rescued.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • Donated to Save Me Scout. Will pass info to some other folks
  • Bump! (Thought I would bring to folks attention again)
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Donated to Save Me Scout as well. Hope they can more help with saving these babies.
  • Bump. The auction is this Saturday.

Save Me Scout sent out a reminder. To donate to Save Me Scout, go to PayPal to send a payment and send it to savemescout@yahoo.com. Indicate that this is for "family and friends" and in the "message" section put "for puppy mill auction". Save Me Scout is a 501c3 organization so the donation is tax deductible.
  • Tristate Shiba just reported on their face book page that the various rescues saved 25 Shibas and 6 Basenjis. (And more dogs by other breed rescues) Great news!

Keep an eye on TriState Shiba and Save Me Scout Facebook pages-- if they rescued this many dogs they will need continued donations!!!!
  • RooneyRooney
    @sukoshi's mom, I was just going to post the same thing! Great minds. ;)

Where they're going: 14 Shibas headed to Save Me Scout in CO, 8 Shibas on their way to Tri-State Shiba Inu Rescue, and 3 going to Second Hand Hound in MN. Looks like they got a good number of the ones that were on the auction billet.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • And an Akita rescue got the Akitas too, but I don't know which Akita rescue. If anyone knows, post it. I'm trying to post links to all the rescues that took in dogs to drum up some more donations for the rescue groups.
  • And I found it! It was Zac's Mission--No more Akitas in puppy mills that got them. They work with other rescues, too. https://www.facebook.com/pages/ZACs-Mission-No-Akitas-in-Puppy-Mills/634498599996282

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)