For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Riley finally showed his dark side
  • Hi everyone so Riley who is 10 1/2 months encountered Charlie a Maltese-Poodle mix (Keep in mind he isn't neutered). So Charlie who is almost 5 years old doesn't really socialize with other dogs if I'm not mistaken my friend told me it was the first time he played with another dog in 2 years or so. So upon hearing that I was extra cautious about the whole meeting. In the beginning they were fine. They greeted each other and everything but you could tell Riley wasn't too fond of him which surprised because Riley loves playing with other dogs. A couple of time Charlie tried to (for lack of better word) "Mount" Riley a couple of times and Riley just shook him off and when Charlie tried one last time Riley snapped he just bull rushed Charlie and got a good bite on him but no damage was done physically. So i grabbed Riley who gave me a good bite not knowing it was me (he licked it for 15 minutes after lol). About an hour later they met again and everything was ok but you could tell Riley was ignoring him. I had NEVER seen this side of Riley before so I was worried yesterday but now I feel that since something wrong must have happened in the encounter for Riley to snap. Sorry for the lengthy post but thug I'd share and see where it goes from here.

Have good day everyone!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Grigor92 - There are TONS of threads in the "Reactivity & Aggression" and "Socialization, Fear, & Anxiety" categories that go over this exact issue.

Basically you introduced your dog to another dog that has zero dog-dog manners and expected it to go well. You ignored Riley's signals that he was stressed (shaking is a stress indicator) and failed to remove him or the other dog from the situation. When the other dog continued to harass Riley, he took matters into his own hand.

Since this is a duplicate topic, I am going to go ahead and close this thread. Please read through some of the threads in the two categories that I mentioned. If you still have questions or want to continue the discussion, feel free to pick the most relevant thread and post there. This will result in less duplicate topics and will help other members find information at a later date if they have a similar issue.

Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions