For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Stockholm Syndrome in dogs
  • A few nights ago, some friends and I went out to dinner and before we left I crated Banjo. The girls (who are deathly afraid of him even though all he wants from them is to be pet for 5 seconds)) were like "we can't leave he looks so sad!!" and I told them he likes the crate (which he does... he'll nap in there on his own volition) and i gave him some cheese and left. NBD, right?

Well at dinner, one of the girls goes "I think he has stockholm syndrome" and we kept googling etc and it turns out thats a real thing in dogs (so they say).

PETA considers crating to be cruel, so do a few other countries, so I was wondering what y'all thought? Is it possible my dog suffers from stockholm syndrome and I am simply an amoral human being for keeping an old, primitave breed in captivity!?

This has been tugging at my heart for 2 days now and all I think when I look at him is "buddy, I swear I am not your enemy"

• sunyatasunyata
  • BootzBootz
    I think this topic probably can be merged with the crating discussion. But seriously? We have domesticated dogs, not wild wolves. And we crate them for their safety, not to "hold them back".

Those girls probably don't have pets huh?
  • @sunyata, What do you call excessive crating?

@bootz, The girls don't have pets, no. =)

So PETA, Sweden, etc are just being crazy?

• BootzBootz
    Excessive crating is like my neighbors. When they don't want to give the dogs attention, they lock them in their crate, in the garage, no AC. But at least they crack the garage door open... Or else id have to report their ass.

I personally think 8 hours a day is too long to crate a dog (without a potty break or ex pen) even if the dog is an adult.
  • Banjo is crated with 1 break (roughly 45 min-4 hours depending on his schedule for the day) while I am at work. I leave for work at 8:15 and am home by 6 pm. Unless I am vacuuming, he isn't in the crate when I am home.

• JuniJuni
    Being Swedish I would like to claim we are not crazy... Not all of us at least. But I've never heard of Stockholm Syndrome in dogs.
    And I agree that dogs like den type sleeping places. It is the being locked up part we disagree with.
  • BootzBootz
    That's fine. And normal. There are people who crate their dogs 8-12 hours a day. I think the neighbors I mentioned above probably crate them towards 15 hours a day.... That's excessive crating and abuse!
  • @Juni, I didn't mean it in a ethnocentric way at all. Please don't take it that way.

• JuniJuni
    Oh no I didn't, don't worry!
  • RikkaRikka
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-09-19 18:19:16

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)