For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Where to take my Shiba when visiting Seattle
  • We are heading over to Seattle this weekend. We will be spending some time around the South Lake Union Discovery Center. We are bringing Zuki since it is a dog friendly event. We have been looking at other places to bring Zuki and have some ideas that we received from other websites but I thought I should ask the great forum members here. Any places that we shouldn't miss? Looks like there are quite a few dog friendly restaurants as well as stores.

Thanks!
  • sunyatasunyata
    This is a pretty good website that provides dog-friendly locations, including lodging. It is not an all-inclusive list, so hopefully someone in the area can give you some good ideas.

http://www.bringfido.com/
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • RikkaRikka
    Tons and tons of awesome parks in Seattle to walk your dog around: Alki Beach, Green Lake, Golden Gardens Park, Seward Park, Fauntleroy Park. . .

As far as restaurants, this website is a good source, but I generally don't take my Shiba to restaurants. If I feel like including him in my day, I usually bring a towel, buy something to-go, and eat it at a park with him sitting next to me. It's much more calmer, IMO.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Rikka...have they cleaned up Golden Gardens? I remember, back in the day(80's-mid 90's) used to be party central...Bon fires on the beach and lots of boozing!(speak from experience!)

I echo Green Lake and Alki. The nachos at Cactus on Alki are awesome!(My mom lives just down the road, next to the Coast Guard houses and lighthouse). She says it's Shiba central around there!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • I hear that Seattle is the Shiba Mecca - how lucky that you can go visit with Zuki!!! I'm jealous.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • RikkaRikka
    Haha, yeah, there's generally at least one Shiba whenever I go to a dog park or just a park in general! It's both... nice and kind of uncanny? I know it's like that in San Francisco, too.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Pros and cons of a city full of Shiba is probably tough.

I'm going out on a limb, but I sincerely doubt that more than 10 Shiba owners live in Richmond...
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Well.. Seattle DOES have a Kai that is pretty awesome..
  • @kobe1468 Golden Gardens is still party town. One time I took Moxy there and a VERY drunk woman came up to him screaming omg look at the basenji! and started trying to rough house with him by smacking him in the face/muzzle. I don't go there with him anymore.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! We will do some more planning on our ride over. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • So we got back from Seattle earlier today. Zuki Had a blast. Thanks for the suggestions. While we did see some other Shibas I was still amazed how much attention Zuki received. Here are a few highlights...

1. Cider fest at South Lake Union Discovery Center. - Very dog friendly. They even had a booth with ice water and treats for dogs. They also had a booth that was giving away samples of iloveyouandyou dog food.

2. Magnuson Park - Fantastic dog park with access to Lake Washington. Zuki took to the water immediately. We have had him in the water before but he usually had to be coaxed, not this time. Zuki also had incredible recall at the park. We have been working on his recall but this is the first time we really got to test it with a lot of other distractions. We had read that there can be issues with "professional dog walkers" but we didn't see any while we were there.

Belltown Pub - Great pub that allows dogs inside. Zuki sat next to me in the booth. They brought a water dish and set it next to him. They even have a menu for dogs. There were other well behaved dogs there as well. Our food and drinks were good.

We went to other parks as well. We didn't have a bad experience at all. I'll post some photos later in "Zuki's Adventures" thread.

Thanks again!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)