For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Defining the Shiba
  • HirokiHiroki
    Wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if there's a better place - I couldn't find one which made sense to me!

We're excited and honoured that Hiroki has been invited to be part of the annual Japan Matsuri even in London, where they are showcasing a number of Japanese dog breeds to members of the public.

I have been asked to provide a short blurb with information about the breed ie brief history, what they were bred for, breed characteristics, which will be read out as he is shown.

As my experience of Shibas is limited to my one dog, and there are so many people on here who have a wealth of experience and know so much more than me about their history, standards etc, I wondered if any of you lovely people could offer me any assistance with the major task of defining the shiba in a concise way but one which does the breed justice!

Help!

Phoebe and Hiroki
  • @thewalrus is a very good resource for the histories of the Nihon Ken breeds. A good place to start might be http://nihonken.blogspot.com/p/shiba.html.

You may also want to see the breed description from one of the national clubs for shibas. Either way, please keep in mind that from an intellectual property standpoint, whether taken verbatim or summarized from one of these sources, you really ought to give proper attribution at the end of your blurb.