For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Wolves cooperate but dogs submit: study
  • DjinnDjinn
    Have you guys seen this going around social media? Despite obvious flaws in the methodology I think there are some interesting points but also quite a lot about it made me face-palm pretty hard:
    http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2014/08/wolves-cooperate-dogs-submit-study-suggests

Edit: Sorry if this should have been on off-topic, it doesn't specifically relate to shiba m(__)m
    Post edited by Djinn at 2014-08-21 06:59:49
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Interesting study. I'm not surprised by the conclusions. I'm not familiar with the researchers who conducted the study, but I follow Serpell and Udell's work. Again, not surprised they support the results.

This would fit into my Wolf Park thread...which I hope will help to compare/contrast wolves and domisticated dogs.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • omgtainomgtain
    You have to remember that dogs are dogs because they were selectively bred for their submissive / aggressive tendencies, depending on what breed you're looking at.
    Post edited by omgtain at 2014-08-21 13:28:06
  • DjinnDjinn
    What I'd be really interested in hearing other behaviorists' commentary on is the impact of studying "created" packs not naturally occurring ones. Were the wolves relatives or unrelated? Were the dogs raised (ie, 'trained') by the researchers to have a specific hierarchy? Was the male-female ratio in both groups based on the ratio in real packs? And so on ;)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Here's the actual abstract of the study....may help you better understand what the researchers were trying to achieve:

https://vetdoc.vetmeduni.ac.at/vetdoc/suche.projekt_uebersicht?sprache_in=en&menue_id_in=300&id_in=8464
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • DjinnDjinn
    Thanks, that's actually more interesting (not surprisingly) than the press coverage.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)