For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Red Paws/ How much Espon Salt to use for treatment?
  • Grigor92Grigor92
    Hi all,
    So Riley's paws have started to get red and itchy and today he started limping a bit. My guess is that he's either got an allergy, something bit him, or it could be from the hot summer concrete. I've got a vet appointment tomorrow morning so we'l see how it goes. My question is I read about using epsom salt to help relieve some of the pain but was wondering how much epsom salt and how much water to fill the bath tub with? if you guys have any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks!
  • For protection from the hot pavement, I used musher's wax until the dog decided he'd rather walk on the grass than have me handle his paws.
  • zandramezandrame
    If he's truly itchy, I'd suspect an allergy. Until you see the vet, keep his feet clean and prevent him from making it worse - cone him if you need to.

Rather than salt, you can rinse his feet with a cup filled with water a teaspoon of baking soda. Gently towel dry.

Musher's Secret is good protection from hot pavement in summer, and snow/salt in the winter.

Read these existing threads
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/7950/paw-issues-and-possible-allergies-/p1
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/10259/temporary-relief-of-itchy-toes/p1

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Poor Riley! Keep us updated on his vet appointment tomorrow. Best wishes!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Grigor92Grigor92
    Kira_Kira said:

Poor Riley! Keep us updated on his vet appointment tomorrow. Best wishes!

Hey everyone so the vet said that Riley has developed some sort of allergic reaction which could be from either food or grass. I just switched him to the new Blue Buffalo Bison meal recently and I'm pretty sure it could be that. Yesterday when i returned it at petsmart a girl with a boxer said her dog developed digestion issues ever since she switched her Boxer to the same food. So hopefully by switching back to wellness Riley can be better. :)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I think that switching back to the Wellness that you KNOW has not given him a reaction before is a good idea.

Kira also has developed allergies in the past couple months - her reaction is on her legs. Our vet said that it was likely to be environmental allergies as well (most likely grass). I've also switched her to a different formula that has no chicken as a precaution, as that is a protein that most dogs develop allergies to. The second ingredient in that Willderness Bison formula is chicken meal so that could possibly be an allergen?

I hope he feels better soon! :)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Grigor92Grigor92
    Kira_Kira said:

I think that switching back to the Wellness that you KNOW has not given him a reaction before is a good idea.

Kira also has developed allergies in the past couple months - her reaction is on her legs. Our vet said that it was likely to be environmental allergies as well (most likely grass). I've also switched her to a different formula that has no chicken as a precaution, as that is a protein that most dogs develop allergies to. The second ingredient in that Willderness Bison formula is chicken meal so that could possibly be an allergen?

I hope he feels better soon! :)

Thanks for the well wishes the last couple of days I've seen a big difference although he is still very protective over touching his paws he has gotten a lot better. I hope it continues like this :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)