For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Chylothorax
  • I have had one Shiba Inu in the past, Logan. We got Logan from a nameless farm in Lancaster county. We got Logan new years eve in 2011 going on 2012. He was a beautiful red boy. At the first visit with our vet, she found stitch marks near his abdomen. This was concerning because the breeder had never taken him to a vet. Nevertheless we had a wonderful time with Logan, he was a very loving and playful boy. In October of 2014 we got some devastating news, Logan had contracted Chylothorax a rare but highly lethal disease found most commonly in Shiba Inus and Afghan hounds. A digestive fluid called chyle was leaking into his lungs; in turn, he was having a very difficult time breathing. The vet concluded that Logan didn't have much time, she said that there was nothing we could do but to change his diet. Of course we were willing to try anything to help Logan. We feed him a strict diet of rice mixed with Rutin, with this diet Logan got another happy six months out of life.

I was wondering if any other owners had this problem with their Shiba, or if anyone has a Shiba currently with Chylothorax.

Thank you!
  • I have not heard of it--had to look it up--and certainly have not heard that it was commonly found in Shibas or in other nihon ken. But maybe someone else will have encountered it, and even if they haven't, it's a good head's up to know about possible illnesses.

I am so sorry to hear about your boy, though. Glad you got a little more time with him though. What were the stitch marks from? Do you think they did some sort of surgery related to his later illness?

It's terrible what the puppy mills will do, and your poor boy certainly suffered from his origins. I'm glad he had a good life with you, though!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    It's not a contagious disease or anything, more related to bad genetics and trauma. I have not heard of it being more common in Shibas, although I've worked with other breeds being treated for it, mostly large deep chested breeds like Danes and sight hounds. Sorry for the loss.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • We believe that he had a hernia issue and the breeder operated them selfs and tried to cover it up.
  • We believe that he had a hernia issue and the breeder operated them selfs and tried to cover it up.

:( That's really sad.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I was actually wondering that, since you said there were old wounds. It's probably related to some trauma he suffered then.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Oh wow, that is absolutely horrifying that they operated on him themselves. Poor thing. I'm so sorry, I can't even fathom what Logan must have gone through.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • SayaSaya
    So sorry you had to go through that. :(

I'm sure you provided best care for him.

I never heard of this till now.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)