For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What Are the Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and How Old Was Your Shiba When This Showed Up?
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I am probably jumping the gun and what Quake may be experiencing with his sudden soft stools after a stressful event (see dog he particularly hates). Maybe this is a little boy who is very sensitive to emotions and has a sensitive tummy. I just wanted to know what other Pet Parents experienced when dealing with Shibas that were later diagnosed as having irritable bowel syndrome. My Quake will be three years old on August 22, 2014.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Have you talked to your vet regarding this or seen a nutritionist? That would be my first stop.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • jennjenn
    He was never diagnosed with IBS, but Rigby used to have "excitement poops" when he would go to new places (looser than normal, but not diarrhea). He had these mostly while on kibble, and ever since switching to raw/dehydrated raw, this has stopped. We feed Honest Kitchen and Darwin's.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • I don't believe mine has IBS, but maybe he does. (I had a cat with IBS and it was very different than what Moxy goes through) After a car ride, something exciting or scary, he has very loose stool for a while. Especially after a vet or groomer visit. The first time it happened was about 5-6 years ago (he's almost 9 now) We went to the groomers and when I picked him up, I had him next to me and I was paying the groomer, all of a sudden the most horrible, explosive poops going everywhere. He was turing in circles and it was spraying all over the place like a sprinkler. The vet told me this is not uncommon after going through a stressful situation.

I don't know how different dogs vs cats are when it comes to ibs/ibd, but my cat would have loose stools daily, no matter what and needed daily steroids for it. He lost a lot of weight and ate a ton.

I would say see your vet about it. Much luck to ya!
  • koyukikoyuki
    Definately see your vet. How many days has he had irregular bowel movements? Is he getting enough fluids- i ask because some dogs can dehydrate from having 'the runs'. One of ours did- he had the runs in the morning and his gums were white and dry- he also was not drinking- a visit to the vet and $600 worth if xrays and tests showed he had some form of enteritis, possibly from ingesting something like wild mushrooms growing in the soil under our lawn.
    Sometimes we can make a correlation between an event/experience as to why our dogs are not themselves- but too many people do this when there could be an underlying medical condition which then goes untreated.
    Example- a lady brought in a terrier puppy to board at the shelter and tried to explain his lethargy away by saying he was stressed out because they were going on holiday. The puppy was actually dying of parvovirus- not saying you would ever let anything like that happen ofcourse- but this lady was convinced that he just missed her kids.
    I hope whatever it is he is feeling better soon! :-)
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • rubyruby
    Definitely go to the vet. I had a foxhound rescue from a very young age a long time ago (sorry not a shiba) and he started showing symptoms around the age of your dog. I took him to the vet and he had a colonoscopy. If your dog has IBS and not just a upset or irritated bowel you need him under vet care. IBS is serious. Eventually the stomach becomes hard and they cannot absorb nutrients. They need vet care. Not trying to scare you but it is always better to be safe than sorry.
  • jennjenn
    Something else to note, Irritable Bowel SYNDROME is not dangerous, it is usually linked to stress/anxiety and allergies. Inflammatory Bowel Disease is more dangerous and can lead to malnutrition, weight loss, and other problems. Obviously IBS is much more common than IBD in both dogs and humans. I'm going to guess Quake has IBS caused by stressful situations, and potentially has food allergies since you've mentioned flatulence with certain foods.

Obviously a vet visit is in order if this isn't a one time thing and continues to be an issue, but when we mentioned it to our vet he wasn't concerned since it would happen once and then not again for weeks.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • rubyruby
    Sorry. Jenn is right. My post was a bit confusing and muddled. My point was that it is better to be safe than sorry. Going to the vet is your best bet! The true disease is nothing to mess with and needs treated. Just to note-mine had it both consistently AND worse when stressed.
    Post edited by ruby at 2014-08-07 10:50:53
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will be taking Quake to the vet just to make sure everything is fine. When he has a scary experience like seeing a dog he hates then he can loose stools.
  • You might also look at his food. One of my friend's dogs had similar issues, and as it turned out she has a very sensitive stomach, and an intolerance to chicken. She can't eat anything except her regular diet, and not even very many novel treats. So I'd talk to the vet, and also consider that perhaps there is a food issue as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)