For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy vengeance after getting hurt
  • Pebbles is almost 5 months old, and lately we have noticed a trend that seems to be... unhealthy. A month or so ago, she got stung by a bee, and now whenever she sees one, she goes after it. A couple weeks ago, she ate a lamp cord, and it shocked her, and then a couple days ago, she went back to finish it off (it was unplugged at that point). Has anyone else had this problem? How did you stop your puppy from attacking things that hurt her? I try to tell her to leave it, and when we are on a walk, it's fairly simple, but when we're out in the yard, that doesn't work.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @2dogsandawolf - Work on proofing your "leave it" and "drop it" commands. If you have not already done so, I highly suggest taking her to a positive reinforcement training class.

ETA: Also, sounds like you need to puppy proof your home a little better, too. Get those cords out of reach!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-08-04 07:37:16
  • She has already been through a puppy K class, so knows the command "leave it" she's just been more determined to ignore it lately, which isn't helping. We're working on practicing it more, and she's starting another training class on Saturday. We have a lot of floor lamps downstairs since we live in a really old house, and she likes to chew the cords off at the base of the lamp. We could tie the cords up shorter, but that wouldn't really puppy proof them. Mostly, I'm just trying to understand why this behavior.
  • sunyatasunyata
    They make cord covers for this exact reason. If she can not be left unsupervised without chewing on cords, etc. then she needs to be crated or ex-penned. Set her up for success. She is bored and wants to chew on things, puppies do this.

Work on the "leave it" and "drop it" some more. If she is only doing it sporadically or when she has a low value item, then you need to proof it (meaning work on the command using higher and higher value items until she complies even with something super high value). Additional training classes will help, but you really have to work consistently with her (meaning a little bit EVERY day).

There are tons of threads about mouthy Shibas, which may offer some helpful advice, but honestly you just need to set her up for success (supervise and crate) and work on her commands a bit more.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    I agree with Sunyata. Just practice the commands more often and reinforce it with high valued items.

You definitely need to puppy proof your place as well as keep an eye on your puppy. Before she even puts her mouth on the cord, you should already be giving her the "leave it" command.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)